Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Water sources: clouds rest and rancheria falls

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Water sources: clouds rest and rancheria falls

Postby hruddy26 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 pm

I'm backpacking over night near rancheria falls in the backpackers campground and would like to know if there are currently any available water sources or do I need to pack in all of my water. I am also going to day hike clouds rest and I know there are a couple creeks that I will have to pass on the hike- are those sufficient sources of water or are they dry? I will be hiking there september 4-9.
hruddy26

Re: Water sources: clouds rest and rancheria falls

Postby WanderingJim » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Rancheria Falls... yes, there should be plenty of water in the area.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:39 pm

Cloud's Rest...creek just down from the Sunrise Trail Junction is probably dry. Pond about 3/4 mile from that...it's a pond. Creek running down from Sunrise Mountain will be flowing...the second time you cross it will have better flow than the first crossing.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hruddy26 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:06 pm

Thanks! Are there water sources spread out along the hike to rancheria falls and near the campsite? I just want to go in being prepared.
hruddy26

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:11 pm

hruddy26 wrote:Thanks! Are there water sources spread out along the hike to rancheria falls and near the campsite? I just want to go in being prepared.

The heavily-used campsites are right next to the creek. Too close for LNT, but the rangers still want you to park your stuff there instead of creating new campsites in the area.

There is maybe two or three creeks flowing between the dam and the creek at Rancheria, by this point.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking