Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3 day trip on PCT north from Donner Pass

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3 day trip on PCT north from Donner Pass

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:12 am

So after several big hikes this year, I'm only going to be able to do a 3 day hike this labor day weekend. Right now, that's making Yosemite seem out of reach since almost every trail head is full for Sept 2. So I was thinking of alternatives.
I was thinking of going north on the PCT from Donner Summit, maybe going up Castle Peak, Basin Peak, Paradise Lakes and beyond.
Not sure how far I'll end up going.

Anyone have insight into this area and know what there is to see and hike to within 3 days?

It looks like all I need is a campfire permit to backpack in the Tahoe National Forest since this area is designated WIlderness. Is that correct?

Any overnight parking restrictions on Castle Valley Road or the staging area on the other side of the freeway?

If I get as far as Jackson Meadow's Reservoir, it seems there's a major enough road and services that I might be able to get a ride/taxi back to my car. Although I wonder if the reverse direction may be better for that. Otherwise it could be a loop back to the start.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: 3 day trip on PCT north from Donner Pass

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:39 pm

Back out again solo, Jim?

I sort of know that area, but mostly from overnighters and day hiking. I don't know about parking on the north side of 80 up there, but I've seen cars parked there for days. You should use the PCT parking lot just down the road from Boreal. It's probably safer than basically parking on the shoulder of the road at a freeway exit.

I don't know the trail mileage to Jackson Meadows Res, but it's about 50 road miles back to your car. I doubt you'll find a cabby that would even come in from Truckee. I'm sure it'll be packed over Labor Day, so you might get some camper headed back into town to give you a ride. There are lots of campgrounds, and that's why those services are there...for more beer and ice.

What about Desolation Wilderness? You could come in from Loon Lake off Hwy 50 and do about a 30 mile loop from Buck Island/Rockbound lakes, down to Aloha and back. Lots of water and scenery on that route. I'm sure it'll be crowded too, but you might be able to pull off a permit with just you.

You aren't missing anything but headaches and insanity by not going to YNP that weekend, so feel good and like a smarter person for it.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 pm

Well, I was lucky to snag a Luken Lake permit this morning (it pays to keep an eye on the trailhead report), so going to be spending the weekend hiking through Yosemite's Ten lakes area after all.

I'll keep the Tahoe area hikes on my list for the future.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:17 pm

And now the weather is startling to look iffy. A little better up at Donner Pass, but some rain possibly uo there later in the holiday weekend too.

Fires to the south in Yosemite, but hopefully those won't directly affect me if I go to Yosemite. Glacier Point Road is actually closed due to the new fire.

Maybe this is why the permits opened up. :)

Ah well.. I'll make the call Saturday morning. I either have to go due East or Northeast and both are about 3-4 hours away from the bay area.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Hey Jim,

Are you going to go over to Tuolumne Peak on your way out from Ten Lakes or go back the way you came? And do you carry some sort of GPS for getting coordinates?
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Phil wrote:Hey Jim,

Are you going to go over to Tuolumne Peak on your way out from Ten Lakes or go back the way you came? And do you carry some sort of GPS for getting coordinates?

The plan is to go by Tuolomne Peak and exit via May Lake. Hopefulyl can hitch back to my car at Lukens Lake TH.

I use my iPhone for navigation (but have a paper map and compass just in case).
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 pm

If you would, I need a set of UTM coordinates for a particular spot. I'm going to send you a PM to discuss it since it's a location I want to keep somewhat secret.

Oh, and when you get up to Ten Lakes basin, go left over to lake #1 (the most northwesterly) for the best spots. The lakes count up in number from the NW and go counter-clockwise. Lake #2 (next to the trail) will be where everyone is. If you go right and up to lake #3, there's one site on the west shore, and two more on the far end by the outlet from lake #4. Lake #4 has only limited small sites, but if you want something more remote and with more room, go up to lake #5.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park