Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trip report: Ten Lakes 3 day hike

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trip report: Ten Lakes 3 day hike

Postby WanderingJim » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:38 pm

Well, after snagging a permit for last Saturday for Lukens Lake, I headed to Yosemite for the holiday weekend. Quick run down of my route:

Day 1: Start at Lukens Lake Trailhead along Tioga Road > Lukens Lake > Halfmoon Meadow > Ten Lakes Pass > Camp, sunset, and sunrise at dome overlooking Ten Lakes

Day 2: Descend to Ten Lakes > see the lakes> took a dip in one (a bit chilly, but not freezing) > Descend to South Fork of Cathedral Creek > Climb to ridge > Camp, sunset, and sunrise on ridge overlooking creek, Falls Ridge, and Grand Canyon of the Tuolomne River

Day 3: Hike along west side of Tuolomne Peak through meadows and by tarns > Hike along north side of Tuolomne Peak down to Murphy Creek > Tioga Road

I thought about climbing Tuolumne Peak, but didn't feel like it after 30 miles (plus I was still recovering from my 50 mile Onion Valley to Mt Whitney trek two weeks earlier). I can do it a a day hike some other time.

Smoke and smell was intermittent, but fortunately not that bad in the Ten Lakes area.

Did have some storm clouds and thunder on the afternoon of day 2, but fortunately nothing directly where I was. Clouds kind of muted the sunset on day 2, though.

So 2 winter backpacking trips, 2 summer trips, plus a night and morning in Tuolumne Meadows acclimatizing for my Whitney trek. Sigh... I really didn't spend enough time in Yosemite this year due to the snowpack taking so long to melt. Maybe I'll try to do another short trip before winter comes back (hope to do another winter trek this winter, as well).

My pictures:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm41EiAm Photo highlights and movies

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8efqG8 All photos and movies
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Trip report: Ten Lakes 3 day hike

Postby JenSaito » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 am

Thanks for the nice report and gorgeous photos! Just note that this winter is expected to be furious and cold.
JenSaito

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking