Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bear sighting!

Discussion about Yosemite black bears, protecting food, automobiles from bears, and preserving and managing Yosemite bears.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Bear sighting!

Postby hoodie07 » Sun May 13, 2012 5:08 am

Hi Everyone.

I'm from the Uk and have been lucky enough to visit Yosemite twice.

On my last visit I saw and filmed a bear and thought that I would share with others.

Anyone else had a bear encounter wish to share?

Keep your eyes peeled and give the animal the respect they deserve - enjoy!

Full bear sighting -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6unYAFhl8hQ

short bear sighting - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUnUAol7QwI
hoodie07

Re: Bear sighting!

Postby stripgaga » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 am

I wish I had an exciting story but mine is very short. The 2nd night we were camping in upper pines, I guess a bear came into the campground by our neighbors around midnight. I was dead asleep but my friends in another tent heard the guy yelling "BEAR" and shouting at him to make him go away. I guess he did, eventually. My friends and I were bummed the whole week we were there and didn't see any bears until the last day. We were driving to glacier point and right before you get to Washburn point, you have to drive down a steep and winding road. I was going slow because it was steep and I've seen many deer run out on the roads before so when some animal came running out across the road, I assumed it was a deer. So I stepped on my brakes quick and noticed it was a huge mother bear! It came running out across the road and settled into the woods right across the road and was waiting. So my friends and I were completely stopped and one of my friends was asleep in my back seat and my friend and I who were awake were yelling BEAR with excitement and we kinda scared and woke up my sleeping friend. So we were stopped just looking at the bear as she was waiting for something, then we see two little cubs running across the road trying to catch up. Damn they were so cute. They were like the size of full grown possums, maybe 3 feet long and about 2 feet high. They ran across the road and waited with mom for a minute and then disappeared. My phone was off so I couldn't get any pictures and I was so bummed about that! But I was glad to finally see a wild bear in a peaceful setting
stripgaga
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby FrankieG » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:50 am

Hi... this is probably being posted quite late from when this was first posted, but hey... I have a bear story so..

I'm also from the UK and visited Yosemite for the first time as a child, and - first of all - I think it might be my favourite place out of all the places I visited in America, but as we were driving in there were a load of cars parked on the side of the road, and I wondered what on earth was going on... but as we slowed down to get passed, there was a bear in the long grass a few metres from the road... and I don't think I've ever been so excited in my life aha! We went in with no expectations of seeing a bear, but saw one within the first hour of being there... amazing :D
FrankieG

Postby VJIADIS » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Found that yesterday.

Just a funny bear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzP68QNSjso
VJIADIS
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Bears