Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Legal campsites in the valley

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Legal campsites in the valley

Postby dan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 pm

Postby sturdyoak2012 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:18 am
I was curious---is it legal to camp anywhere you want in Yosemite Valley? I can't find a place where it's explicitly said to be against the law.

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:35 pm
This one is certain. Not since the 1920s, Only at sites within campgrounds in the Valley and Tuolumne Meadows. And even within those campgrounds, you're still going to come up against strict limits on the number of people, or be limited to only sites specifically designated for larger groups.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/manageme ... endium.pdf

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 pm
It's a fun way to get thrown out of the park... fined... even jailed. They have a jail, btw, right there in the Valley. But no, you can't camp just anywhere. I bet they'd let you spend the rest of the night in a cell tho.

Postby sturdyoak2012 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:13 am
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Postby Phil » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:53 am

sturdyoak2012 wrote:
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Camping in the Valley, or the jail?

Postby dgilman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 pm
And remember that crimes in Yosemite are Federal crimes.

I've tried to get my wife to take Yosemite job as a Federal Defender, which is actually her line of work, to no avail.

Great location, but boring cases. Like that guy who decided to camp illegally.

Postby Phil » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:27 pm

dgilman wrote:
And remember that crimes in Yosemite are Federal crimes.

Yeah.

The United States of America v Your Name Here____________________

Has a certain ominous and intimidating ring to it, huh?

Note to self: when camping illegally in the Valley, only use the red setting on my headlamp.

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:13 pm
My dad got a speeding ticket once - the alternator wasn't charging the battery and we were trying to bust it for home, and he had fun trying to get the ranger to understand why he couldn't comply with shutting off the engine. "Sir, if you have jumper cables and agree to help me start it again..."

He just paid the ticket, didn't go to court. Speeding in a panic is still speeding. And that was a long time ago before they were really expensive. These days, you don't speed in the park, you sit there in long lines of cars waiting to get somewhere...
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking