Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Red Peak Pass current conditions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Red Peak Pass current conditions

Postby Dave01085 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:33 pm

We're planning a big loop from Glacier Point, down Illilouette, over the Red Peak pass, up to Merced Lake, then to Sunrise Lakes, over Clouds Rest and back to the valley.

Anyone been out that way recently? Wondering if there's much snow to worry about, or if stream/river crossings are concerning. We're a couple weeks away from the start of our trek.

I hear bugs are nasty. Anything else that would be handy to know?

Any detours or side trips we should take to see something awesome?

Anyone have gps coordinates of great campsites along that route? I hate picking an adequate site, and then finding an awesome site 1/4 mile away the next morning on the hike out. Group size is 14.

Thanks!
Dave01085

Re: Red Peak Pass current conditions

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:01 am

The only snow you'll see this year is the north side of Red Peak Pass. The rangers in the wilderness office ate your best bet for latest info...Lower Ottoway Lake us a lovely spot...but this route has tons if great camping.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave01085 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks. We've been checking the "conditions" page on the website, but it's not updated frequently, and there wasn't any specific info on Red Peak. A prior post said there was 9 feet in places.

Thanks! Dave

PS. I clicked on your link and like your blog :}
Dave01085

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Here's through the 21st of June (as far out as I can go). Red Peak is roughly centered. As you might be able to tell, and as Balzaccom correctly says, snow on the switchbacks on the north descent. Looks to be about a foot or so of depth, and if history and experience are any indication, loaded with deep, ankle twisting suncups. Be careful on your footing, but no big deal if you go slowly and carefully. Mosquitoes will be bad at Lower Ottoway and probably down the Merced/Triple Peak drainage.

https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive ... &js=1&uc=0

My question for you is: when is your group going? I'll plan my dates for my own trip up there around that. We're shooting for 07/07
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:03 pm

Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:12 am

Very useful info, thanks for posting here. I’ll be there in 4 weeks, so it looks like conditions should be perfect.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Just got back from Yosemite.

Approaching Red Peak Pass from the north, there are about 4 snow fields to cross. Nothing difficult, trekking poles with snow baskets would help, but not required. Don't need ice axe or traction devices.

There was another snow field to cross on the way down the south side.

Plenty of water along the way. Only knee deep water to cross at the Merced Peak fork crossing. Other crossing were easy to log/rock hop over.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:22 am

Thanks for the update, Jim.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking