Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Which Sleeping Bag

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Which Sleeping Bag

Postby wmclemore01 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 am

Well I can't stop planning and my hiking party is starting to ask some good questions in preparation for our visit for the first week of August this year.

Question of the week -

Our permit is for a multi day Yosemite Valley Northern route starting at Tamarack to Tenaya Lake back through Cloud Rest and out Happy Isles. Two things I hate the most are bringing more weight/bulk than I or my small pack can handle or getting mind numbing cold.

"Historically" can we get away with our lightweight 40 degree bags (with my long johns and down jacket I will have with me), or are we going to need our 20 degree bags and all our clothes anyway.

Say it isn't so - I sure like the weight and low profile of that 40 degree bag.

Tight Lines
wmclemore01
Regular
Regular

Re: Which Sleeping Bag

Postby ACDC » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:00 am

Do you sleep warm or cold? You can always get a liner that will add a little bit of warmth and won't take up too much extra space or too much weight.
ACDC

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:30 pm

It does all depend on whether they're warm or cold sleepers. Most people think they know, but really don't and discover it the hard way. But most could probably pull off the 30-40 degree bags along the north rim, with the option of adding clothing if the temps drop. I'm not a big fan of liners. Use a comp sack if space is a concern.

That said, unless I need a lower rated bag, I'm usually carrying a 20 degree bag, even in summer, and then climb in/zip up, climb out/unzip. But then again, all my bags are Western Mountaineering and weigh about or less than 2lbs.

If they go with the higher rating, just make sure that everyone has a bag that's actually got an EN rating that's fairly legit, then check what the nighttime temps are going to be for your trip dates. Adjust as necessary. The beauty of having options.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Paddy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:46 am

Like previous posts, how cold can you stand. I used 50F bag in June/July bag and sometime woke up with cold feet.

One thing you may want to look at is your sleeping pad. Those self inflate may not prevent heat loss like closed cell foam pad.

Or get one of this Image

People claim it heats up the tent by 10F. I don't know, but I sure felt cold air rushed in when I unzipped the tent. I don't use them in summer, only for snow camping.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:20 am

It will also depend on the weather. Cooler weather won't be your friend. A heat wave would be great.

The good news is the you won't be camping at 10,000 feet, and often around 8,000 feet. Warmer nights down lower.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Justin-T » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:52 pm

I second all the above comments, it really does depend on many factors. However, I do think you are in the gray-zone, where you might be cold with a "lightweight 40F" bag. I've done fewer nights up there around 8,000-10,000' than the others who've commented (maybe 20 nights total), but I can say with my 20F bag at 8,000 feet in July I wouldn't say I've felt too hot many times. For sure you should make sure you've got pads that are in good shape. My head always gets cold so I take a thin balaclava just in case, don't always need it, but sometimes its a godsend. BTW, I decided to splash out and got a Z-packs 20F bag, they pack very small, weigh about 20oz, so you aren't adding bulk or weight vs a "standard" 40F bag. Admittedly they aren't cheap though.
Justin-T
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby wmclemore01 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 am

Thanks for everyone's inputs and the responses are about what I thought - Keep a close eye on the weather and be able to adjust, like any backcountry trip.

Just glad I did not get a lot of "He** No" you will die up there in a 40 degree bag. I usually push the envelope a "LITTLE" and hoping to try my Marmot Atom 40 degree bag at 18 oz. With this bag I can still get everything in a Osprey Expo 48 for 5 nights (including a bear bucket). With all the good information provided I will bring a silk liner and decide at the last moment if needed. I also plan on having long johns and my Patagonia down sweater jacket as a backup plan for a cold night.

My only other option that is available to me is a North Face 20 degree Blue Kazoo at 2 lbs 15 oz that I really don't want to deal with. In hindsight I wish I did what Justin-T did and put all the money I have in these two bags and just bought the Z-pack 20 degree at 20 oz. Justin-T chose wisely

Looking forward to visiting you'all soon

P.S.
My brother did inform me that if I bring the lighter bag and start to get cold don't come crying to him - Brotherly love :o
wmclemore01
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:58 am

I don't think you'll be in danger of dying, but I think a 40 degree bag has you teetering tight on the edge of your comfort rating, even at those lower elevations in summer. I'm not one to bundle up and dress for bed though, and if my bag and pad combo doesn't cut it as a stand-alone setup with me sleeping in my boxers and t-shirt, as normal, it's time to reexamine the system. A lousy night's sleep because you're cold or constricted really sucks.

Your brother sounds like a pragmatist. Maybe he loves you more than you think.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking