Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Campsite alternative around Snow Creek bridge

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Campsite alternative around Snow Creek bridge

Postby wmclemore01 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:56 am

Still working though some final details on our upcoming trip, much more fun than actually working today at the office.

Our permit is for the northern route of Yosemite Valley and I originally had us camping at the flats above Snow Creek Falls past the footbridge. Looking at the parks website its seems some of this area has been closed for some time.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/management/closures.htm

"Due to increasing bear activity along the Snow Creek Trail, the area to the south and east of the footbridge will be closed to overnight camping."

Can anyone provide any campsite ideas "close" to this location that is safe and legal

Thanks for any thoughts
wmclemore01
Regular
Regular

Re: Campsite alternative around Snow Creek bridge

Postby Paddy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 am

Hi,
As of last year area south of the foot bridge was off limit for camping. I camped about 100-200 yards(?) North-East of the foot bridge. I just followed the trail north and saw the camp sites. There was at least one fire ring.

Even though this area was open for camping, a ranger came and told me to move my tent further north (away from the cliff area, about 100 yards south). He claimed that a smart female bear has been stalking this area for some time. By moving me north, he could easily keep an eye out during his nightly patrol. My approximate location is about 100 yards south west of his "shed", or at least that what he told me.

He also asked me to keep my bear can about 10 yards from the tent opening and keep a supply of pine cones for ammo.

Here is my trip report. https://sites.google.com/site/myownway2014/home/out-of-the-valley
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Campsite alternative around Snow Creek bridge

Postby Paddy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:16 am

When ran into some campers heading opposite way (toward North Dome from Snow Creek), and they told me about nice camp areas about 2 trail miles north of the foot bridge. According to them, it was nice and quiet. I did not go there since it was late in the day.
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking