Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Ride to TM from Valley in September

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Ride to TM from Valley in September

Postby TJM » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 am

I am planning a solo hike from Tuolumne Meadows to Happy Isles in September. Unfortunately I didn't have any flexibility in dates so my permit is for the week after shuttle service between Tuolumne Meadows and Yosemite Valley shuts down for the season. I'm looking for a ride from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows Campground or Visitor's Center the evening of September 17th or early morning on September 18th.

A ride or advice would be appreceated
TJM
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Ride to TM from Valley in September

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:03 pm

Being solo, you'll probably find that hitchhiking might take a bit more time than you like, but will pan out unless you look like a serial killer. We do take shuttles when we can, but we generally plan our transport around at least one of us thumbing it. The other alternative is to not put out your thumb and stand there, but to hang out in the backpacker's parking area by Curry Village and ask people directly to help you out. Personalizing the interaction goes further than being some anonymous person on the side of the road. My experience is that people will do what they can, if they can...and sometimes even if they can't quite. Anyone that's ever been in the same situation will sympathize immediately.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:22 pm

My experience hitchhiking in Yosemite is that it's difficult. I did it to get from one trailhead back to the beginning, with another guy, which probably makes it more difficult. I found the local Yosemite employees are more likely to pick you up than tourists--who are too pre-occupied/scared. But one time a tourist from Japan with limited English picked him up. We gave him a quick tour of the Valley and told him about Glacier Point and Mariposa Grove.

So, expect to wait awhile. But I think Phil's suggestion is the best. Ask directly at Camp Four, or be prepared to wait several hours at least.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:03 pm

dan wrote:My experience hitchhiking in Yosemite is that it's difficult. I did it to get from one trailhead back to the beginning, with another guy, which probably makes it more difficult.

Yeah, twice as hard. We never even try to have more than one of us hitching. It just doesn't happen too often. As a matter of fact, when it works out that one of us can watch the other's pack until they return with the car, the one of us that goes will ditch their pack too. You might also find that $20 in your hand compels even more people to somehow find room to squeeze you in somewhere.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby robow8 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:30 am

dan wrote: But I think Phil's suggestion is the best. Ask directly at Camp Four, or be prepared to wait several hours at least.

Just to be clear: Phil was talking about the Backpacker's parking lot near Half Dome Village, where there will be people finishing up their hikes from the Mist Trail/JMT. It's the dirt lot between Happy Isles and Half Dome Village.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby WanderingJim » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:31 am

You might want to check the YARTS schedule. They have buses running to Mammoth lakes from the Valley that make stops along Tioga Road.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking