Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Working a trail crew

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Working a trail crew

Postby balzaccom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:51 am

Since my wife has been laid up with tendonitis in her foot, I decided to take advantage of a week-long volunteer trail crew opportunity in the Mokelumne Wilderness, once again with ranger Chip Morrill. Here's the report on that week:

I got to the trailhead about 5 p.m., and met our packers, Randy and Al, there. Once Randy and I discovered that we had both spent decades exploring the Sierra, loved fly-fishing, and liked to paint watercolors, this turned into a delightful three-hour conversation. The rest of the group, seven hikers from the American Hiking Society, a local volunteer, and Chip, arrived later, and we all turned in quickly and caught some needed sleep.

The next day was a long hike into the campsite--somewhere between 7.5 and 9 miles, depending on which signs you believed. But it was not without incident. Carla, one of the AHS group, slipped on a steep gravelly slope and did some real damage to her ankle in the process. She could not continue the hike. Just as Chip suggested that the best solution would be for me to accompany Carla back to the trailhead and hike in a day later, we were relieved to see a 4x4 on a nearby road. We flagged down the driver and imposed upon him to take Carla back to the trailhead, where she could rest, use Le Vin Blanc to get around, and figure out what she wanted to do for the rest of the week.

And then we hiked on. And on. On the map, this didn't seem like a long trail. but between the long rests we took, the dry, hot air, and the smoky haze everywhere, it took its toll. We met a pair of young men who had just hiked up the trail we were going to be working on. They were tired, a bit bloody, and described parts of it as a wall of impenetrable brush. There was work to be done. By the time we arrived in camp, almost 7 hours after we left the trailhead, we were tired and perhaps more importantly, dehydrated. Randy and Al had left our food, kitchen, and trail tools for us, so we got to work setting up camp and getting water.

And that was a bit of problem. Because of the dry year, the creek at the foot of Munson Meadow was running very slowly, and not very clearly. We gathered water in buckets and carried them back to camp, only to find that it quickly clogged the gravity filter. I set to work boiling water on the camp stove. and spent most of the evening doing that. Since it was the first night, I thought it made sense to get some of my co-op camp duties out of the way, so I also helped make dinner (hamburgers with all the fixings, if you can believe it!) and clean the dishes. Early to bed, looking forward to a full day's work in the morning.

On day two most of us were up and about by six a.m., Sandy doing her yoga before that. Breakfast was on our own, but John, the AHS host for the hike, had provided an assortment of cereals, oatmeal, bagels, pop tarts and both fresh and dried fruit. I have never backpacked with the assortment of fresh food that John had organized. Chip laid out a work plan, and we all chose our options, grabbed the appropriate tools for the task, and headed down the trail into the canyon towards camp Irene. It was hot, it was dusty, and the smoke was pretty thick at times. But we worked hard, with no slackers in this group, and made some pretty good progress.

The wall of brush that blocked the trail...it went on for a mile or so?

We were joined later in the day by another ranger, Chris, who brought us news that Carla seemed to be working things out, although without a lot of mobility, back at the Silver Lake trailhead. He threw his back into the work as well, and by the end of the day, we had worked our way half-way down through the nastiest part of the overgrown trail. But this was the day we also learned one of the bittersweet lessons of working on this trail. The more progress we made, the deeper into the canyon we went. It was hotter down there, and the hike back to camp was even longer. The section we were working on was 1500 feet below camp, and climbed all of that elevation in less than a mile and a half. Once we got back to camp, we were fully done. Dinner that night was a great fresh chicken pasta, and we ate late it was our last meal. And we were in bed by 8:30--every single one of us. I discovered that the back-flush syringe for my Sawyer Squeeze would work on our gravity filter, and I also insisted that we pre-filter all the water through my bandana. That gave us a system that seemed to work, slowly, for 4 liters at a time.

This was the night that I discovered that my Neo-Air mattress has a serious leak. Two hours after I climbed into the sack, I was on the hard, hard ground. Not a great night.

Day Three: More of the same, but Chris was headed back out today, and did some nice trail work on the way out. Chip suggested that some people could work on defining the trail more successfully up on the ridge nearer camp. Lots of the group agreed to do that. Only Sandy, Nancy, and I agreed that we would go back down into the canyon to tackle that massive wall of brush down below. And we did. I have to tell you that Sandy and Nancy were tough cookies, and by the end of that day. we had made it through the thicket of manzanita, huckleberry oak, and white thorn bushes in the sun-baked lower slopes of the trail, and into the more shaded and forested section below. Whew! It was damn hard work, and Chip sweated alongside us--even volunteering to hike down another half-mile to a spring to bring us all fresh water bottles half-way through the afternoon. That made a huge difference as we climbed back up the canyon later in the afternoon. By the time we returned, the rest of the group had started dinner (Tofu, red beans and rice!) and our smaller crew were able to take the evening off from most of the camp duties, although Sandy still helped cook, and I still boiled some water.

But I also actually found and fixed the leak in my mattress! What a relief. And it worked perfectly for the rest of the trip.

Day Four was a rest day for all of us except Chip, who was going to work on a spur trail along the canyon rim; and Mark, the local volunteer who has leaving us today. We all agreed to hike about two miles over to Long Lake, where we could bathe, wash clothes, and take life easy. It was a sweet day, and we all took advantage of the water. It was still somewhat smoky from the nearby Donnell Fire, but the morning was a bit better and we loved just resting, sitting in the sun or shade, and rinsing off three days worth of real grime. Naps were the order of the day, and then lunch, and then a slow, hike back the two miles up to camp. Dinner was tacos--and that led to a wonderful discussion with Paul, our Chinese volunteer, about the relationship between tortillas, tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, burritos, quesadillas, etc. By the end of the evening we were all in great spirits.

Day Five: This was the grand finale. We all hiked down about 500 feet below the rim of the canyon to tackle a huge log that had blocked the trail. As Chip readied the bucksaw for use; Rich, John, and Chinese Paul and I trimmed branches and prepared the work area. But by the time Chip had the saw ready, Rich had a plan to use one of the severed branches to lever the whole log out of the way. And his plan worked like a charm, with all five of us pushing, shoving, and grunting.

With the log out of the way, Rich, John and Chinese Paul headed back up to the top of the canyon to work on an exposed section of very faint trail above, and Chip and I tromped off down into the canyon again to join Sandy and Nancy and tackle the rest of the brush down below. Man, it was hot. We worked very hard, and at one point Chip and Sandy hiked down with about eight liters of water bottles to bring them back up to Nancy and me for the hike back out.

Meanwhile, Nancy and I kept lopping away on the nasty white thorn that had shredded hikers legs for too long. Finally, we called it day and slowly but surely dragged ourselves back up the tail to the rim of the canyon, where we found the rest of the group absolutely exhausted and covered with dust. We looked good! Chip shared some of the fresh water with them, while Sandy, Nancy and I slowly walked back to camp.

Dinner was stew with lots of chopped veggies and canned beef, and Sandy and I found ourselves chopping carrots and potatoes as if they were manzanita bushes. The water filter crapped out completely at this point, and so we also boiled pot after pot of water for cooking, dishes, and human consumption.

Day Six: Extraction day, as they say on "Naked and Afraid." We cleaned up camp, got everything ready for the Randy to pack out on his mules, and hit the trail. I led the way so that we could keep a nice steady pace, with short rests and plenty of water. And it worked. We had an early lunch at Horse Thief Spring, and were at the trailhead in about 4.5 hours--a big difference from the hike in. Even better, the smoke had cleared for most of this day, and the AHS group from around the world finally got to see the Sierra sky that we know and love so well.

The American Hiking Society organizes these trips all over the place, and I would encourage you to check them out. John, our trail host, had extensive experience leading boy scout hikes, and did his very best to keep us all fully fed (I had a fresh orange for lunch on the hike out!) somewhat amused (with lots of games and conversational gambits) and even a bit organized (morning circle exercises for the whole group) even though we were an unruly herd of feral cats. While not everything he tried worked out the way he expected, we certainly all gave him the benefit of the doubt, and the organization of food was amazing. Highly recommended.

Rich, the local contact for AHS, owns a citrus grove near Sacramento, and brought a wealth of information and technical expertise to everything we did. If ever something did not work, Rich was the man to figure out why. Chinese Paul, who leads hiking trips for kids in China and specializes in outdoor education, was great fun. He worked on his English every day, tackled everything he was asked to do, and spent one memorable evening trying to explain China to us, from the influence of Confucius and Buddha to the Cultural Revolution and his work in changing the educational system there. Howard was a psychologist specializing in traumatized infants under three, and despite being 76 years old, carried his full share of the workload. His discussion one night of autism was really interesting, and his sense of humor was a delight. Sandy had lived in China, Japan, and the Philippines. She was always first to volunteer to help do what needed, and the experiences she shared from around the world were fascinating. A real team player. And Nancy, a young computer engineer from LA, was the best possible companion--hard working, always smiling, and lots of fun. When she sat down to play a new board game that John had introduced to the group, the rest of us all knew we were out of our depth.

Of course, the man behind it all was Chip Morrill. He was the perfect leader for a volunteer work force. He always did way more than his share, both on the work crews and around camp. He hiked ahead to meet the packers at our campsite and make sure it was ready to go, and he stayed later to meet with them again on the way out. His cheerful attitude, his willingness to offer a wide range of options for our workers every day, and his obvious gratitude for everything we did made the whole trip worthwhile. I'd do another one of these with him in a heartbeat.

Finally, the smoke that we saw every day was a constant reminder of why it is so important to protect these forests. Each day the plume from the Donnell Fire was bigger, and slowly drifted our way. Since I know that area so well (we've hiked there so many times) it was like losing an old friend. A very sad sub-plot to our week of hard work.

The rest of my photos from the trip are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/G2MRZLJg6umqt6gV6
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Working a trail crew

Postby ctfshjohn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:20 pm

just curious , what altitude were you when you encountered the snake ?

thank you
ctfshjohn
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:34 pm

ctfshjohn wrote:just curious , what altitude were you when you encountered the snake ?

thank you

Snakes are more numerous around waterways, but they occur at all elevations.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:18 pm

8200 feet or so...
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ctfshjohn » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:10 am

thanks

scared to death of these things.

heading to yosemite for the 6th time this year.

spoke with a guy who had been going to TM for 20 years in a row , said he has never seen a snake.

hearing more lately of snake encounters in the sierras.

always get a huge swelling when stung by the meat bees, terrified of what may happen if bitten by one of these rattlers .

cant imagine trying to get back to civilization before my limb needs amputated.

thank you for your trail work ;]
ctfshjohn
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby WanderingJim » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:52 am

ctfshjohn wrote:scared to death of these things.

Seen a few rattlesnakes while hiking on Mt Diablo, but usually I just steered clear and we both went our separate ways. Had to jump one once when I didn't see it until the last second.

As for Yosemite:

ImageDSC02589

It was along the Upper Yosemite Fall Trail. Got a lot of attention from hikers going by (and people taking pictures, myself included). There was one person taking pictures with a large camera with a long lens and she was getting the lens within inches of the snake. I cautioned her that she was too close, but she continued taking pictures. I can only imagine what the snake thought of the large single eyed snake that was staring at it.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 am

Over the last decade I have seen six rattlers, many king and garter snakes, one rubber boa, and four green racers.

Statistically twenty year old guys are more likely to get bitten. They bother the snake intentionally. I only once had to annoy a four foot rattler off the trail and he went without coiling. Stepped on one in Pinnacles. It was tiny, tucked between a couple rocks, didn't even move.

Nope, not afraid of them - we have had them in our yard many times when I was a kid. Watch where you step, you're fine.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 am

We get a lot of rattlers up here at the house. For the most part, they try to steer clear of people and things that aren't on their menus. The rule is, if they're close to the house, they die, otherwise, they're part of the environment and we let them be. It's definitely best to be aware of their presence and not do things like reach/step under or around things where they're coiled up. You also have to be extra vigilant in areas with dappled sunlight like the edge of the treeline and rock outcroppings; aside from hunting, being cold blooded, they're about regulating their body temperature and alternating between sunlight to warm up and shade to cool back down. Surprise and stupidity are where people get it, but we've all stepped right over them on the road, the stairs, not paying attention when hiking, etc, while they've been stretched out or on the move. When that happens, they're not in a position to strike, but they'll get there fast if they're awake and it's warm enough for them to activate. At that point, they'll issue a warning with the rattling, and if you persist and go from possible threat to imminent danger, they'll fire about half their body length to strike. You just have to remember that they're very judicious in using their limited amount of venom, and they will masterfully size up the situation and decide, but only after really careful consideration...they're not used to being challenged and are used to winning, but will back off if they can (they just want the threat eliminated...one way or another), so always, it's best for you to be the one to do so unless you're holding a shovel or long machete and intend to use it. But, of all the animals up here; mountain lions in the yard occasionally, bobcats, foxes, coyotes all the time, maybe with the exception of wild pigs, they're the most aggressive and frightening thing around. Always good for lots of extra adrenaline. But, in 30 years of some incredibly close calls, we've never had anyone bitten (pets, yes), knock on wood, probably kill over a dozen a year close by the house here (May -June, babies are the worst), but if you are bitten, you're going to have lots of swelling and infection at the bite site, and plan on spending at least the next couple/few days in the ICU.

The moral of the story is, stay aware, look where you step, give them their space when you see them, and when hiking, if they're on the trail, either go around them if you can, or coax them away with a trekking pole. They might hold their ground for a few seconds until they make their decision on what needs to happen, but they will move out of your way. All things considered in that moment, you have a stalemate, but you're a threat that has them cornered and challenged, not prey. They'll let you know with absolute certainty when you're too close for their comfort. Be the one to break it, and everyone's a winner.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:54 am

What you should be hypervigilant about in the backcountry amounts to what your body will do, if not properly hydrated and fed and cared for. Panic is your worst enemy. Anxiety fuels the worst decisions people make. It's easy to get dehydrated, and then keep making dumb decisions that put you at more risk -- heat stroke and hypothermia can slowly, slowly develop and you not ever be aware that it's happening. This is the real reason people should hike in groups. And an uneducated group is the same as being alone - if they don't notice your stumbling, mumbling, fumbling, personality change, and you become seriously impaired due to thermoregulation issues or dehydration, you are just as at risk -- more so, than if you'd been bitten by a rattlesnake.

Most rattlesnake bites aren't envenomated and the person survives. Most deaths in the wilderness are due to exposure, meaning the person allowed himself to become impaired and further injured/lost by ongoing bad decisions, and eventually succumbed to hypothermia. SAR will find people with a full pack of adequate gear sitting there dead. If you don't have a properly working brain you can't use the gear you have.

NOLS trains their students in wilderness medicine to walk people who have been bitten by a snake out of the wilderness, to get them to a higher level of care. No suction device, no cutting, sucking or other method that would concentrate the venom in the wound. Rattlesnake venom will kill tissue when concentrated. You won't know it's envenomated for a few hours, it takes a while. The fact that you are expected to walk the person out, rather than trigger a helicopter rescue, says something about the possibility of death -- with other conditions such as anaphylaxis or heart issue or diabetic crisis, you get the chopper out there asap.

Snakes and other animals are the very bottom of the list of things I find concerning when out there. We are out every other weekend with trail crew, and I've had four weeks in the high country backpacking so far this year. Going for a week in September and looking forward to getting some pictures of wildlife.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:04 am

AT has it right. Over that past 15 years of hiking (more than 2500 miles) in the Sierra, I have seen about six of these snakes. They were always moving out of the way, never rattled, and never bothered me. They heard (or felt) me coming and avoided a nasty confrontation. All I did was pay (slight) attention and not bother them. This one did the same thing. Started moving out of the way when we were at fifty feet. By the time we were twenty feet away, it was off the trail and headed for the large tree base where I took to the photo--a somewhat hidden, defensible position for the snake.

And yes, something like 85-90% of all rattlesnake bites in the USA are among young men on the hands and arms. Uh huh.

Stay found, stay hydrated, and stay dry--the animals of the Sierra are far less dangerous than getting lost, getting dehydrated, or getting drowned.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 am

Same trail experience here with snakes. In Yosemite, a couple in Lost Valley, several at Muir Gorge and Pate Valley. Except for the one particularly pissy one coming down from the top of the gorge that I heard but never saw, they've all been hightailing it out of my way long before there was a confrontation. Challenges aren't their thing, and that's true for almost all animals that aren't sizing you up as food. Yes, animals are way, way down the list of things I worry about, too. My biggest concerns are always about being aware of my physical state and staying properly hydrated.

At home, we have a vastly different dynamic because we have to bring the confrontation to them for safety reasons when they're too embedded and comfortable in our immediate space, but we had a 40lb dog that was bitten and envenomated that went for three days without us even noticing that he was more than sleeping a lot more than usual and the tissue inflammation around the bite became obvious, and he survived just fine.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Timono » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:47 am

I never thought a stone could be a good spot for yoga ^^
Good point! hahaha
Timono

Postby balzaccom » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:19 am

This time I balied

It was supposed to be a three day trip, but I bailed. First we were supposed to hike into Scout Carson Lake, where we would set up a spike camp and work on the Horse Canyon Trail. But with the weather report calling for a series of showers, Ranger Chip opted to play it safer and set up camp near Silver Lake. at the Silverado Camp. That's where I met him on Wednesday morning.

My day had started much earlier, when I got up before 5 a.m. (after teaching my class at the college the night before) and drove up to Silver Lake near Carson Pass. When I arrived Chip was just getting ready to hit the trail, so I threw a few things into my day pack and followed him up the trail. The weather was cool (50 degrees) and overcast, but there was no rain, and the showers were only predicted for the afternoon. But hiking uphill at a good pace quickly encouraged us to strip off a couple of layers on the way up.

After about two miles, we met the first group of young workers from the East Sierra Conservation Corps--a great group of young people from all over the US who had spent the summer doing trail work in the Sierra. This was their last week of work, and we were hoping to get most of the Horse Canyon Trail in shape. This is a big project, because the trail is open to mountain bikes and dirt bikes--and those can really tear up a trail that would normally stand up to simple foot traffic. Every section had to be overbuilt to withstand the impact of a dirt biker racing along. During the morning, Chip directed the six members of the ESCC on various projects along the trail, while he and I tackled others. At one point we were carrying large rocks between the two of us so that we could protect the exposed roots of some ancient junipers on the trail. These were large, flat slabs of granite, and I used some muscles that I hadn't used in a while...One rule about rock work--always choose rocks above the trail. It's much easier to roll them downhill than it is to carry or roll them up!

Lunch was chilly, as we sat among the rocks with the ESCC team and chomped down our food. There was just a hint of sunshine from time to time, and the showers we had seen were very light, or headed to the peaks north of us. So far, so good. In the afternoon, Chip suggested that we tackle a series of water bars on a long straight section of trail. (Water bars are angled dams that direct water and erosion off the trail and down the hill.) Again, given that these were going to get hammered by dirt bikes, they had to be built to last.

And as we worked on the first water bar, the rain showers became slightly more frequent, and heavier. By the second one, it was a steady cold rain, with temperatures in the low forties, and gusty winds--since we were working at about 8500 feet near the top of the ridge. Over the course of the next two hours. we watched the rain get more consistent, and the peaks above us disappear into the clouds, until we, too were enveloped in the mist and gusty winds. What fun! And it didn't get any warmer, either. At 3:30 Chip suggested that we begin to pack up and head down the hill. back to camp Most of the tools were left on the job site, carefully tucked into the shelter of some dense juniper trees, and we struck off down the hill at a brisk pace for what was now nearly a three-mile hike in the rain and wind. By the time we got down to Silverado Camp at 4:30, it was still raining, the temperatures were dropping, and I was soaked to the skin from the waist down. (Note to self: water resistant pants are not water proof. In fact, they are simply pants.)

I thought about what I had in the van. My hiking boots were soaked. I had clean, warm sock and undies, and I had brought along a nice warm sleeping bag. I had food and a stove. But the thought of spending a night in the van, hoping some of my gear would dry out, and then doing it all over again, had me thinking hard--especially because the weather report called for more showers the following day--and lower temperatures.

And so I bailed. I thanked Chip for a fun day on the trail, and he laughed. I congratulated the kids of the ESCC for being better people than I am. They were. And I got in the van and drove home, with the heater and defroster on high. I drove through another 25 miles of cold, miserable weather before I got down below the cloud cover. By the time I got to Sacramento, it was almost sunny, and I was toasty warm.

And today I read the weather report: Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly cloudy. At lower elevations, a slight chance of rain showers. At higher elevations, a slight chance of rain showers in the morning, then a chance of rain and snow showers in the afternoon. Highs 43 to 58 higher elevations...57 to 67 lower elevations. Snow level 7500 feet increasing to above 8000 feet in the afternoon. Prevailing southeast winds up to 10 mph shifting to the west in the afternoon.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking