Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Camp site question

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Camp site question

Postby Zikaris » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm wanting to go on a half dome hike and to camp the night after. I know it's pretty much impossible to get a campsite on the valley floor for the summer at this point.

My question is... last time I did half dome I came across a campsite after nevada falls. Is this a no reservations walk up type site? If you need reservations is it possible to get them now for the summer? If so where would I go?

Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks!
Zikaris
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Camp site question

Postby dan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 pm

The campground above Nevada Falls is Little Yosemite Valley. You need a Wilderness Permit to stay there (see http://www.nps.gov/wilderness/ ) and you need to get there when a site is available--it's first come, first serve (no reservations). Of course, you can camp almost anywhere in the Wilderness, as long as it's not next to water or a trail (and must be a few miles from the road).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:38 pm

Above Nevada you have to camp in Little Yosemite Valley.
The next spot to camp is on the way to Half Dome (JMT/HD tr jct.) or
out of LYV by Moraine Dome (there is a cascade there)...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Bears.

Postby Garyw » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:08 am

Lot of bears in that campground area be aware.
Garyw
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking