Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Half Dome

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Half Dome

Postby mike2212 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm 15 years old and im from New Jersey. I've done some hiking on some small mountains in the Appalachians. This would be my first real hike. Is that too big of a jump? I play football and baseball so I'm in pretty good shape.
Impossible is Nothing
mike2212

Re: Half Dome

Postby dan » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:26 pm

It doesn't hurt to try--I think you'll do ok. I see lots of teenagers hike the trail. Bring plenty of water. Start early to beat the lines in the afternoon going up the cable ladder. By early, I suggest around sunrise.

- Dan
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mike2212 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:26 pm

Ok. I've seen some videos on youtube of the cables and going up doesn't look half bad if your legs are in good shape, but going down looks pretty easy to slip, especially going forwards. Is it as steep as it looks?
Impossible is Nothing
mike2212

Postby balzaccom » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 pm

It's steep---but literally thousands of people do this hike every year. Maybe every MONTH in August?

If you are young, are in reasonable shape. and don't have problems with your knees you will be fine. Please take lots of water and food...and pace yourself. You don't get a prize for being first...you only get the fun of the hike. Make it fun and take time to look around. Those guys racing past you early in the morning will probably wilt half-way through the day.

Start early. take it easy, and it's a piece of cake for someone your age.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mike2212 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm

thanks guys. Anything else you recommend? clip for the cable? and im guessing for food a lot of power bars and stuff like that
Impossible is Nothing
mike2212

Postby dan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:43 pm

A clip would be a good idea, although few people use one (I don't).

I think the thing to do climbing the cable ladder is to take it seriously. Have both hands on a cable, stay between the two cables (instead of the "quicker" route of heading up or down outside the cable on one side). The last guy that died a few years ago was careless, IMHO, as are a lot of others (who are lucky enough and live).

It's a beautiful view up there. Spend at least an hour.

- Dan
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mike2212 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Ok thanks guys. I'll be continuously checking this, so any other advice would be appreciated. Types of food? Anything you recommend. Any advice for a pretty much beginner. Thanks again

-Mike
Impossible is Nothing
mike2212

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking