Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Parking at tuolomne meadows

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Parking at tuolomne meadows

Postby Lbaro1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 am

Hello— I’m planning a June backpacking trip from Agnew meadow uo to tuolomne meadows and have secured permits. Wondering if I can leave a car at tuolomne meadow (post office, store, campground, etc.) and then take YART shuttle to Mammoth /Agnew where we would start hike. Would prefer to have car at end of hike if at all possible. Thanks for any feedback
Lbaro1

Re: Parking at tuolomne meadows

Postby WanderingJim » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:23 am

If the road is open, yes, you can leave a car in TM.

But not at any of those locations. Either along the road or one of the trailhead parking lots.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Lbaro1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:46 pm

Thanks very much, Jim. Also, we expect to arrive in Yosemite on/about 6/25. Is the road generally clear by that time? i realize the date road opens will vary based on snow for the season but curious if it is generally open by end of june.
Lbaro1

Postby WanderingJim » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Lbaro1 wrote:Thanks very much, Jim. Also, we expect to arrive in Yosemite on/about 6/25. Is the road generally clear by that time? i realize the date road opens will vary based on snow for the season but curious if it is generally open by end of june.

Sometimes. :)

It'll depend on how much snow we get over the winter.

Late May is somewhat common (except in 2017 when we had a super heavy snow year... screwed up my plans that year).
We're kind of running about average snow so far (late start to the big dumpings), but if we get a lot in Feb and Mar, it's anyone's guess.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby markskor » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Lbaro1 wrote:Hello— I’m planning a June backpacking trip from Agnew meadow uo to tuolumne meadows and have secured permits. Wondering if I can leave a car at tuolumne meadow (post office, store, campground, etc.) and then take YART shuttle to Mammoth /Agnew where we would start hike.

Yes, you can leave your car in Tuolumne safe...a few suggestions -
Either park anywhere on the road (120) but make sure you have all 4 wheels over/past the white line.
You can leave your car at the Wilderness Permit lot...lots of bear boxes are there.
You could also leave your car up the Lembert Dome road.
You cannot park overnight at the store parking lot.
markskor
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite