Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Silly permit question - time of day

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Silly permit question - time of day

Postby jchapell » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:22 pm

Hey all - Silly permit question that I have my self second guessing...
I've made many permit reservations ahead of time in the past, but after striking out almost a dozen times already (!) so far trying to reserve cathedral lakes, I'm wondering if I'm the dumbest guy in the room!

So, today's reservation window for example is for August 13 (it is Feb 25 today). Does that I mean I need to get my reservation in before 7:30am Pacific today, or I have until 7:30am tomorrow (the 26th) to get my application filled out online?

The wording on their website is: Wilderness permit reservations are processed by lottery 168 days in advance of the start date of your hike. You may submit your reservation application online one day prior (169 days) to the lottery date, as specified in the chart below. The deadline for all lottery entries is at 7:30 am Pacific time, 168 days in advance.

Thanks for helping a confused, supposed math wiz ;)
jchapell
Regular
Regular

Re: Silly permit question - time of day

Postby balzaccom » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:33 pm

Call the wilderness office we and ask them. Truth be told, unless you are after a permit for a very busy Saturday for a large group, you'll probably get what you want....
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jchapell » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks! I have been trying to call, but it's a tough line to get through on my job with limited phone time - that permit office is a popular number ;)

Thanks again!
jchapell
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:55 am

Try it and see if the website takes your application.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:40 pm

dan wrote:Try it and see if the website takes your application.

Actually, the new online form doesn't seem to restrict submissions before the reservation window.

At least it didn't for me back in January when I jumped the gun. :)

Also, make sure you pay for the reservation promptly when you get the notice that you got the permit. I forgot and almost lost my reservation.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking