Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite backpacking trip planning advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Yosemite backpacking trip planning advice

Postby jartelt » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:43 pm

AlmostThere wrote:
jartelt wrote: We'll give the rangers a call before heading out and will bail if things sound too hairy. Worst case, we'll skip Yosemite this year and go to a lower elevation national forest that doesn't have permit quotas.

I'm going to wonder where you'll find such a thing as lower elevation and no quotas that won't also be heat stroke inducing. I've only tried to carry a backpack at 100F+ and I'll never ever try again. Honestly, the route you are planning isn't all that high to begin with.

Haha, that's true. We can probably find a snow-free route in the Trinity Alps, but it will likely be hot as hell. We'll just have to see how it goes!
jartelt
Regular
Regular

Re: Yosemite backpacking trip planning advice

Postby Grzldvt » Wed May 08, 2019 2:11 am

jartelt wrote:
Grzldvt wrote:I don't visit much here anymore due to moving to Orange County and have other areas to explore, but this year there is no way in hell you can do this trip in early July unless the high country sees 100+ degree temps for weeks. The snow level in Toulumne Meadows is almost 9 feet right now and it is actually one of the lower areas for snow level. Based on going into that area for 30 years, following trails for the uninitiated is going to be impossible and down right dangerous to follow. Plus the Sierra/Yosemite is still not out of the major snowstorm situation yet, so more could get piled on.
Coming out of Tenaya, to Clouds Rest the snow level is only going to be much higher.
I have been into the park in early July when the snow level was as high as this winter and I was standing on the roof of the May Lake High Sierra camp(15 feet high at 8500 feet).
Plus really, no one gave the OP advice on the Snow Creek climb... 4000 feet of steps???? Been there done that even as a day hike it is a bitch of a hike, let alone a 35+lb pack.
Does the OP understand what it is like going up Clouds Rest with a full pack and the narrow ledge they will be on? It is not for the faint of heart.
Not trying to wreck the hike but if the OP has never been in the park or in those areas, they could be in for a huge shock and end up in serious danger.

Thank you for the advice. I've hiked Clouds Rest, and do not anticipate this being an issue with a pack. The narrow ledge was not a problem for our group the last time. I have not hiked beyond Clouds Rest and descended into the valley though. I guess if the trail gets narrower in this section, we could have issues (I'm not sure if this is what you are referencing or if you are referencing the area near the Clouds Rest summit). Anyways, if there is too much snow, we plan to skip Clouds Rest and take a slightly different route.

Regarding the Snow Creek climb, I have not hiked this trail but am aware that it will be an uphill slog. Our current itinerary only has us going like 6 miles that first day, so we will have plenty of time to take it slow along the way up. The Mirror Lake/ Snow Creek trailhead was not my first choice, but it still had permit availability when I got around to reserving a permit. Our group decided we just suck it up the first day and deal with the climb!

Regarding snow, I'll definitely take your words of cautious seriously. We'll give the rangers a call before heading out and will bail if things sound too hairy. Worst case, we'll skip Yosemite this year and go to a lower elevation national forest that doesn't have permit quotas.

You have missed my point completely, there is no trail to follow. You will be hiking with snowshoes and need to know exactly where you are going. I am guessing the snow level will be at least 5+ feet at that elevation.
Glad to see you have some sake of sanity but can pretty much guarantee the snow level will be incredibly high and more than difficult to follow.
Take look at Hetch Hetchy, much lower some very nice scenery. At that time of year you should see some incredible wildflower blooms and a couple of awesome waterfalls. The Wapama Falls bridge will be flooded this year but that is part of the fun of crossing the bridge. There will be tiny waterfalls galore, more than you can imagine
This is a great hike to Rancheria Falls and the camping just above it.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking