Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

HD Permit but Tioga TH June 22

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

HD Permit but Tioga TH June 22

Postby MikeP » Wed May 08, 2019 1:53 pm

I have a wilderness permit reservation with Half Dome included. The permit is for Sun rise Lakes TH on 6-22-19. If Tioga road isn't open, or if the trail remains too snowed in, will I definitely lose my HD permit if I need to adjust to an alternate trip with a walk up permit?
MikeP
Regular
Regular

Re: HD Permit but Tioga TH June 22

Postby WanderingJim » Wed May 08, 2019 3:30 pm

If you can get a alternate trailhead that could have HD in it (I.E. not entering way up at Hetch Hetchy), they will probably transfer the HD permit.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bbmq » Wed May 08, 2019 4:03 pm

Tioga Road is supposed to open sometime around Memorial Day so that shouldn't be a big deal, but you might have to hike in snow shoes that time of year. June is always dicey and there's a lot of snow up there this year.
bbmq
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed May 08, 2019 5:41 pm

bbmq wrote:Tioga Road is supposed to open sometime around Memorial Day so that shouldn't be a big deal, but you might have to hike in snow shoes that time of year. June is always dicey and there's a lot of snow up there this year.

The projection is mid June, and there will be a lot of snow left on trails, plus, and this is much more concerning than patches of snow, the melt will have all creeks going full tilt and dangerous. It remains to be seen what the crossing of the outlet of Tenaya Lake will be like.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed May 08, 2019 8:37 pm

I hate to say this Mike, but I wouldn't count on any of it happening by the 22nd. The road may or may not be open by then, Tenaya Creek will be huge, and there's still going to be an enormous amount of snow cover up there. Enough that you'll have troubles keeping track of the trail.

As an alternative TH with access to HD, since Glacier Pt Rd is scheduled to open on 05/10, and because it's a lower elevation, I would try for either coming in from Glacier Pt or Mono Meadow, assuming you can safely ford Illilouette Creek that early.

Even if it works out, don't forget the mosquitoes.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MikeP » Thu May 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Thanks for the responses. I agree that at Glacier point TH start would be a good alternative if I can get a walk up permit. I just hope that they will transfer my HD permit if that happens.
MikeP
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking