Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

1st Time, 7 days

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

1st Time, 7 days

Postby Sasquatch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:45 am

Hey i was wondering if anyone knows of a good trail for beginning of June. I am a first timer and am looking to be out in the Yosemite forest for 7 days. Would you suggest me being out this long for my first time? And please let me know of any trails you would recommend.
Thanks,
Newbie :D
Sasquatch

Postby balzaccom » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Here are my thoughts

7 days is a long time for a first trip. I would suggest two shorter trips as a better way to manage that time. And it would give you a rest and a chance to restock the packs and take a shower.

Permits may be an issue--I do love the trip from Mono Meadows up to Ottoway Lakes...and that is a reasonable four day trip--about 32 miles or so, and lots of places to stop if you don't quite make it.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hiker97 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:06 pm

I would also suggest the two shorter trips. Being out for 7 days means carrying lots of food and a much heavier pack. Plus there are loads of really wonderful 3-day and 4-day trips you can take that quickly get you into some spectacular backcountry. Do you enjoy rivers, views, peaks, lakes/fishing? Depending on your interests, there are various trails that would be more in line with what you enjoy. Also do you want to take on an out-and-back or loop trip where you are carrying the pack everyday or would you rather go out to a nice base camp area and then do a couple of day hikes from there? Some people enjoy being without the 30-40 pounds on their back for a day partway through the trip.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby oakroscoe » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:15 pm

I feel it necessary to concur with the other posters, 7 days/6nights is a very long trip for a first timer. I would be more in favor of a 4 night 5 day trip with 2 days down in the Valley to see the sights. 7 days is definitely long for a rookie. As for where you want to go, it depends on your interests. Also, some trails may not be open for the first week of june, a lot of that depends on what elevation you want to get to.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Heybooboo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:05 am

Congrats Sasquatch for making the best decision of your life!

Is this your first time backpacking or first time in Yosemite?

Why not try a two night shake down. Go out like a long day hike, set up camp. Day hike on day two, stay out 2nd night. Hike back out on day 3. This is a good weekender. Cathedral Lakes would be a good starter.

This is the pattern we would do with all of our first time backpackers in Boy Scouts, youth and adults alike. If you didn't make the shake down trip you were not elegible to go on our long trip.

Remember to post your experience.
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Sasquatch » Sun May 03, 2009 6:10 pm

Well my skill level is small, I have don a lot of hiking but no backpacking. I would love to do a loop trip something where I could camp at a different location each night (I have decided on a 4 day 3 night). I love to swim so lakes or rivers would be a huge plus. I am getting ready for the best summer of my life! I am also hiking whitney with a few friends this summer...YESSSS!!!! :D

(How is the GCT? I would love to do something in Tuolumne, I am looking at mid to late June...any ideas?)
Sasquatch

Postby gwegan » Wed May 06, 2009 4:49 pm

The GCT is great, but not for a first timer. There are no cut outs, once you are in you are in. Why not a simple loop of 3 days?

Day 1 May Lake (really easy) Climb Mt Hoffman in the afternoon.

Then Glen Alun, 8 miles, then back to Tuolumne Medws

3 days
gwegan
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking