Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tenya Lake to Upper pines Yosemite valley..Doable?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tenya Lake to Upper pines Yosemite valley..Doable?

Postby yosemitetrip19 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Howdy Team,

So looking at routes for three days I'm in Yosemite with my girl friend and we want to hit one 15-18miler. Please forgive me I'm new if I suggest something foolish please don't burn me too hard. We were looking at routes...we were wondering if Tenya lake to upper pines is hikeable in October time. If so how do we get out to Tenya to walk back...sounds dumb when I ask, as I checked the road route and its nearly 50 miles.

Any help would be great

I fear there may be more of these dumb questions in the future, brace yourselves
yosemitetrip19

Re: Tenya Lake to Upper pines Yosemite valley..Doable?

Postby balzaccom » Tue May 07, 2019 5:57 pm

It's perfectly doable. There's a bus from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows every morning, and it will let you off at Sunrise Lakes trailhead or Olmsted Point.

From Sunrise you can hike up to Sunrise Lakes, then back to the Valley via Little Yosemite Valley and Nevada/Vernal Falls.

From Olmsted Point you can hike down to the Valley via the Snow Creek Trail...or if you want a longer hike, via Yosemite Falls.

But the first option is much more scenic, if you can get that permit...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pbattler » Sun May 19, 2019 8:13 pm

I have two thoughts on a Tenaya Lake to Upper Pines Hike:

1. Although the Snow Creek Trail is very reasonable (I did it as a single overnight, with my 6 year old daughter, a few years ago), you must be careful to stay on the trail. It would be very easy to get drawn into the Tenaya Canyon drainage, following cairns, in the first ten minutes of your hike. This route is far more challenging and hazardous than the Snow Creek Trail. It requires a few rappels and lots of travel on exposed slabs. The Snow Creek trail is not difficult to follow, but if you were careless you could find yourself on a more challenging adventure than expected.

2. I don't think the Tuolumne Shuttle Bus is still in service in October. I think they usually close for the season in mid-September.

Whatever you do, have fun. Fall is a great time to be in Yosemite.
Pbattler
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 20, 2019 8:16 am

If the pass is still open, YARTS will be running a couple times a week, and timing your start date to that will allow you to use it.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking