Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Pohono Trail Snow Status Request

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Pohono Trail Snow Status Request

Postby beartail » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:16 am

I am hiking the Pohono this weekend, June 22, 2019 from 4-Mile Trail to Glacier Point onto Pohono and back down to the 4-mile Trail. Yes, a 23-mile day hike. What I don't know is what's the trail like along the Pohono Trail? Is there snow everywhere making staying on (finding) the trail difficult? Lots of post holing? If so, where along the Pohono Trail might there be relief from a snow-covered trail. Elevation 7,000, 6,000? Thank you.
beartail

Re: Pohono Trail Snow Status Request

Postby MikeP » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:12 pm

I did a section of Pohono just over two weeks ago. Glacier Point to McGurk junction. Below was the report from that time. It has been pretty warm there for the last two weeks with lots of melt. However, some sections were dense and many feet deep so I am sure you will still me on top of snow quite a bit. Definitely recommend micro spikes. I'm also sure there are still a lot of down trees. Good luck!!

https://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewto ... 659#p17472
MikeP
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Check out the webcams. I haven't been to the park this year yet, but the Badger Pass and High Sierra cams are proximal to the right elevations and general area, so those should be a good indicator. I doubt you'll have more than some shorts sections and spotty drifts under the canopy in a few places left by now. Might be a lot of mosquitoes though.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmu ... ebcams.htm
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby beartail » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm

Hi Fellow Hikers:

On Saturday, June 22, 2019, we completed our 23-mile, 12-hour, day hike that included the entirety of the Pohono Trail, from Glacier Point to the Bridalveil Falls Parking lot. The Pohono Trail was without any snow or ice, and had recently been cleared of all fallen trees. It was clear sailing all the way. This day hike started at the Trailhead of the Four-Mile Trail in Yosemite Valley at 3am. From Glacier Point, we hiked down (mostly down but with some upgrades to keep us honest) the entirety of the Pohono Trail to the Old Wawona Road (now a fun, wide trail in need of some tree clearing). This led down to the Bridalveil Falls Parking lot where we continued East for 3+ more miles to the place of beginning of our hike, the 4-Mile Trail Trailhead. Really great loop trail....
Beartail
beartail

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking