Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yellow Jackets at Pinecrest Lake

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in the Sierra Nevada and elsewhere outside Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yellow Jackets at Pinecrest Lake

Postby huynguyen1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Does anyone know what the yellow jacket situation is like at Pinecrest Lake or the greater area? Should I expect a lot of them when I visit in a couple of weeks? My son has been stung two years in a row at the Russian River, so it's a thing for us to be aware of now unfortunately.
huynguyen1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Yellow Jackets at Pinecrest Lake

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:38 am

It's hit and miss. I avoid taking pungent meats to eat and generally avoid encounters. The times we have had issues with them, it's usually when someone brought tuna or some sort of meat. My mom took us camping all the time in the Sierra and called them "meat bees" as that was what typically brought them out of the woodwork.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Yellow Jackets at Pinecrest Lake

Postby Phil » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm

And yellow jackets don't sting, they bite, so they can come back for more flesh as many times as they like. I guess that's a mere technicality when you're on the receiving end, though. Bait them with something smelly that's a fair distance away from you and your camp and they'll leave you bee. A small can of smoked baby oysters is a great attractant that'll keep them busy for days and off you if you only slightly crack the lid a little and make them take turns. However, bears like them too.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Hiking & backpacking outside Yosemite National Park