Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Gear good to go?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Gear good to go?

Postby balzaccom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:46 am

My wife and I have hiked something more than 2500 miles in the Sierra Nevada and other parts of the West. We've backpacked for years and years, and we are as experienced a pair as you are likely to find on any given day on the trail. So what could possibly go wrong?

Well, on our last trip, just as an example, we had a few misfortunes. My toothbrush broke. It was a source of some amusement to see me trying to brush my teeth holding the stub of the brush with both hands and still reach the teeth in the back of my mouth.

And my sunglasses also snapped above the ear. No worries, we had packed duct tape--except that for some reason I had switched lip balms, and the supply of duct tape was wrapped around the old lip balm tube, not the new one. That's OK. We also have adhesive tape in the first aid kit. In fact, that tape came from my parents' first aid kit...and let's see...my mom passed away how many years ago?

So It was tape, but it wasn't adhesive. hmm. Luckily, we still had a few small band-aids, and a couple of them, wrapped around a twig as a splint, fixed the sunglasses at least enough to get him home. Just a reminder that it pays to make sure all your gear is newish...and that you've also got a back up!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Gear good to go?

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:27 am

I've had a number of those kinds of "glitches" myself over the past year. I got everything out last weekend and looked at everything - picked it up and assessed its utility. Time just keeps on slipping by, and tape isn't forever. Or band aid adhesive, for that matter.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:02 am

AlmostThere wrote:...Time just keeps on slipping by, and tape isn't forever. Or band aid adhesive, for that matter.

I think they wrote a song about that...as time goes by.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Duct tape, zip ties, WD-40....along with good ole Yankee ingenuity, nothing is beyond hope.

Remember when sawing your toothbrush in half was the thing? Then drill a whole bunch of holes in it. If we were all Bear Grylls, we would just grab a manzanita leaf, brush, say a few word to our viewers and production crew about solitude, then retire to the hotel bar.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Yeah, WD 40 would definitely improve a Mountain House meal!
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Sriracha and a liter of water are Mountain House must-haves.

...and an extremely big knife.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking