Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What Are The Odds

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What Are The Odds

Postby og Walker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:32 pm

Greetings
I have a permit to enter at may Lake and exit at TM for a couple nights Setp 9th.
What are the odds that this trip actually happens, i have not seen much about the snow/weather conditions in that area.

Thanks
Oscar
og Walker

Re: What Are The Odds

Postby markskor » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:20 pm

Early September is usually the best weather in Tuolumne. Heck. the store and lodge will still be open...no wildflowers but no mosquitos either. I say go!
markskor
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:10 am

In Sept, there are only two things that would stop you from making that hike: you not doing it, or a fire closure. I also say, go.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:41 am

It's the best time of year to go. School has started. Fewer people. Almost no skeeters. Streams are easy to cross. And while the days are shorter, the weather is frequently lovely. Just watch to make sure a major storm isn't on it's way. That would be rare. First BIG snowfalls usually don't occur until November...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:22 am

Extremely high odds, at least as far as weather.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:56 am

See my post. I just got back from the park and was shocked as to how little snow was left at this point. As others have said absolutely no issue at all.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby og Walker » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 am

Ok, Its on!
The weather looks perfect and the oil in the car is changed.
My buddy backed out so its a solo trip, my first solo trip, but I'm sure everything will be fine.

I assume there is water in the stream between May Lake and Aulin, anybody been up there lately?

Oscar
og Walker

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:36 pm

og Walker wrote:I assume there is water in the stream between May Lake and Aulin, anybody been up there lately?

That depends on what creek you're talking about....

After May Lake, your next water is going to be Raisin Lake (that's a nice first-night alternative to May Lake itself, and there are some great sites to be found). That creek that you parallel in that valley might have some flow, but not likely now or necessary at that point. After that, there's a seep/spring on the switchback descent down to Murphy Creek just the other side of that quick little pass you go over. The valley will be dry from the Tuolumne Peak junction and below. If you need water there, the closest is going to be the trailside pond that's part of the Polly Dome complex, but you'll need to make a slight, short diversion down the Murphy Creek Trail itself for that. I doubt Murphy Creek will be running this late. Past that, next you have Cathedral Creek several miles further along that will almost undoubtedly have some flow to it. Load up a bit there if you need it because McGee Lake is probably pretty nasty about now. Any and all those sources are virtually guaranteed and will easily get you through to Glen Aulin plenty hydrated.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby og Walker » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:46 am

Hey Phil, thank you for the great write up, I hope to know the back country that well some day.
I'm going to carry a gallon of water and my two bottles so i think I should be able to make it in good shape.
It should be a good trip for sure, thanks again!

Oscar
og Walker

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:38 pm

No problem on the info.

Why carry a gallon plus 2 liters? That's like 12 extra lbs of water weight. You'll have plenty of water with just your couple bottles and/or some kind of gravity filter system or hydration pack bladder for camp, even if you guzzle a lot, and there are no sections where that 2L alone isn't going to easily get you to the next source.

For you going solo for the first time, that's a great bite-sized route. You'll have no problems. Enjoy.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 pm

I don't think I've ever carried a gallon of water anywhere in the Sierra. It's not a desert, there's water at regular intervals.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby og Walker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Great time!
The nights dipped in to the mid 20's temperature wise but not a problem.
No rain or wind and not a skeeter to be found, really a good trip.

Like I said this was my first solo trip and maybe second trip all together so my water concerns were not an issue, I carried a bladder but never filled it.
I figure if that's the worst thing to happen then this was a successful trip.

Thanks again for the advice, guys!
Oscar
og Walker

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking