Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Glen Aulin

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Glen Aulin

Postby huynguyen1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:23 pm

Looking to base camp somewhere in Glen Aulin beyond the high Sierra camp (by a mile or so?) in mid-July. Will I get eaten alive by mosquitoes, how's the fishing in the river there, and is the water calm enough to float in lazily? Any feedback would be much appreciated!
huynguyen1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Glen Aulin

Postby markskor » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 am

On the trail, just over a small hill north-west of Glen Aulin, the Tuolumne River widens and slows for a half mile...(See TOPO - Wildcat Point area and just above California Falls) where there are good sheltered areas back in the trees to establish a base camp. The river never really slows enough for a "lazy river" but is swim-able. Also, there are some quiet nice holes there too.
Fishing is OK for 8 - 10" Brookies and Rainbows...I use small lures (Panther Martin type) or fly and bubble.
Mid July, the bugs could still be problematic.
markskor
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:13 am

Those sites along the trail that Mark is talking about are the best in the area. They're also the first legal sites outside of the 1 mile radius required beyond the HSC. There are a few right up close to the river just above and below California Falls itself, but those sites are also virtually right on the trail itself, with the most obvious one literally just a few paces away. After that, the gorge not only narrows down, there are no more good places to camp until you go down canyon a ways by La Conte and Waterwheel when it opens up a bit again. And yeah, there are a few small holes and slack areas that you could take a dip in, but you have to be pretty cautious above any waterfalls, and that entire complex is some serious business if you get inattentive and swept in the wrong place. Again, like Mark points out, you can see both where the river widens and where the best fishing is, first on your topo, but better when you get there. We've always had our best luck on the wide stretch at Glen Aulin proper; over the hill and at the flats past the HSC where the trail comes out of the open and starts heading into the trees.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby huynguyen1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 pm

Thanks, Markskor and Phil, for the helpful feedback. Do you think that area is too close to the HSC for comfort with regards to the traffic of hikers going to/from the HSC? We have two full days and I figure Friday can be spent backtracking to check out McGee Lake and whatever else is down that way. On Saturday we can head to LeConte and Waterwheel Falls. Any peaks I should consider bagging? Any other tips/suggestions for this leisurely trip? Btw, I've mentioned before on this forum that my buddies and I only get one four-day trip a year (oh, to be parents of young kids!), and the last two have seen us basecamp rather than stopping at different spots each night. It's not for everyone, but the calmer pace of basecamping, at least on such a short trip, suits me well. I don't see as much, but I also see more. Thanks again for your feedback!
huynguyen1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking