Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Where can backpackers camp?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Where can backpackers camp?

Postby bhuether » Sun May 03, 2009 10:24 pm

I am confused on where one can camp if doing the Half Dome Hike. I know Little Yosemite Valley is the typical spot. But there are no permits available for when we are going (last weekend of May). So what are some alternatives? What if you want to camp out past the LSV? Would that still require the LYV permit?

thanks,

brian
bhuether

Postby gwegan » Wed May 06, 2009 4:53 pm

There are LYV "pass through" permits but those are not intended for half dome hikers.

If you show up at the wilderness center before 10am the day before you should get a LYV permit. You can spend the night in the backpacker's camp on the valley floor.
gwegan
Regular
Regular

Postby bhuether » Wed May 06, 2009 5:21 pm

Somewhere on the park site, it says backpackers can camp in the backpackers section at North Pines Campground. It says no reservations are required and that you just put the $ wilderness permit fee in an envelope at the camground. So It sounds like that particular campground does not follow the normal wilderness permit procedure... But I am still trying to confirm that.

thanks,

brian
bhuether

Postby airrj » Wed May 06, 2009 9:32 pm

For an overnight trip to Half Dome, or any overnight trip in the backcountry, you need a wilderness permit. I think that you need a permit to stay at LYV as well. I have never actaully stayed in LYV, so I don't know about that part. If there is not spots available at LYV, you can setup camp in many places along the trail. I normally camp near the junction of JMT and the half dome trail. Well away from the busy area of LYV. If you stay outside of LYV, you just have to follow the backcountry rules staying off of the trail, have a bear can, etc.

If there are no backcountry permits available starting from the valley, you can start in different locations than the valley. Many people start at Glacier Point and that is a good alternative if you want a permit.

As far as the backpacker camp in North Pines, it is at the back of the campground and you are allowed to use it one night before and one night after your backcountry permit. There is no parking at the campground, you can drive in and part for 10 minutes to unload gear, and then you have to park in trail head parking. There are bear boxes available and there is a bathroom as well. It is a nice quiet little camp spot. The wilderness permit office should be able to lead you in the right direction.

Enjoy.
R.J.
airrj
Regular
Regular

Postby dan » Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm

True, it doesn't follow the normal wilderness permit procedure. The backpackers campground on the North bank of the Merced River (north of North PInes Campground), and the backpackers campground in Tuolumne Campground are NOT in wilderness areas. They can be used by backpackers only on the night before and night after the dates on the Wilderness permit. Put your money in the envelope and hold on to the receipt.

- Dan
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 15, 2009 7:33 pm

You might have to get there a lot earlier than 10 am. I stood in line at 5:40 am, behind three people who were sleeping on the porch. Got the last permits for LYV/Half Dome for my small group departing the next day. The office opens at 7:30 am and the permits were gone within 10 minutes of the door opening. We stayed in the backpacker's campground, along with a crew of drunken Norwegians singing half the night.

The other way to get a permit is to hang around the wilderness office until AFTER 10 am on the day you want to leave - they release unclaimed reserved permits at that time.

You can hike past LYV and camp at Merced Lake or on the other side of Clouds Rest, with the right passthrough permit. You cannot camp between LYV and Half Dome, or on HD itself, nor can you camp anywhere between Happy Isles and LYV. If you depart from Glacier Point you can camp in the Ilillouette drainage but that makes for a short first day out.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking