Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Yosemite Backpacking 2020

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Yosemite Backpacking 2020

Postby robow8 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:19 pm

From the Yosemite website:

First-Come, First-Served Permits in 2020
Wilderness permits are not available in the park in 2020. Beginning June 11, 40% of permits that would normally be available first-come, first-served are instead available by lottery two weeks in advance. Beginning June 11, you can submit a request 15 days in advance of a hike, with the lottery running 14 days in advance. Unreserved permits remain available up to nine days in advance. It is not possible to obtain a wilderness permit reservation fewer than nine days in advance.

From hiking start dates from June 11 to June 25, any unreserved permits that are part of the 60% quota are available by online reservation.

And from High Sierra Topix:

My Friend has a permit for Saturday and got this great news...Is the whole park open or only for those lucky wilderness permit holders?

Wilderness permits will NOT be issued in park. In order to receive your permit via email, you must receive permit education from a ranger over the phone. Rangers will be calling the phone number on file for your reservation or you may call (209) 372-0826. Following a phone call, your permit will be emailed to you.

You can not enter the park without a physical copy of your wilderness permit, parking pass and ID. You will not be required to obtain additional reservations to enter into the park.

Rangers will check wilderness permits at the gate. Only participants of a wilderness trip will be provided access.

Other things you need to know:
• Trailheads along Tioga Road are not accessible at this time. Yosemite rangers can not issue a permit for trailheads between Crane Flat and Tioga Pass.
• You may not enter the park with this permit more than one day before your trip start date.
• If Half Dome is a part of your wilderness reservation, you must confirm payment with Yosemite Conservancy before your permit is issued.
• Bear-Resistant Food Storage is required on all overnight stays in Yosemite Wilderness. We strongly encourage you to purchase or rent an allowed bear canister, before arriving in the park. Canister will be available for rent at select Wilderness Centers during limited hours at Yosemite Wilderness Permit Station for $5 per week (deposit required). Bear canisters will NOT be available at Hetch Hetchy.
• You may not enter the park with this permit more than one day before your trip start date. For permit holders starting on June 5th, there is no ability to enter one day in advance. For those starting after June 5th, your permit will authorize you to stay at a Backpackers' Campgrounds one night before and one night after your trip. The cost is $6 per person, per night.
• Check Current Wilderness Conditions for trail conditions and timely updates.
• With limited resources due to COVID-19 and high risks involved in search and rescue operations, please plan your trip carefully and ensure all safety precautions are taken. Response times may be delayed if you call for help. Proper planning is integral to preventative search and rescue. Use attached form to create a wilderness plan and share with responsible parties before you come to the park.
• While Wilderness is a place to get away, you will likely see other visitors and rangers. Please follow social distancing guidelines and respect the safety of other visitors and rangers when you encounter them. Please respect plants and animals throughout the park by following Leave No Trace ethics.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: Yosemite Backpacking 2020

Postby WanderingJim » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Okay, at least they aren't cancelling all the permits for people who have current permit reservations. And it sounds like the park will be opening June 5th (Friday). Although there no notice of this on the Yosemite nps.gov website except for the changes for Wilderness permits.

This is actually a little better than the in-person permit pickup. I've heard the ranger speech so many times now, I can probably give it to other hikers. :) This will streamline my JMT permit pickups (mid-July and mid-August, nto sure which I'll be able to do yet).

Might even try for a July 4th weekend permit to see if I get lucky. I have one for the GCTR for the entire week of July 4th, but my job cancelled a week of paid vacation that week due to COVID-19 so not sure if I'll still do that or try for something for the 3 day weekend we still have.

I might have to buy a printer, since I've long been paperless at home. :)
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby robow8 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:55 pm

WanderingJim wrote:I might have to buy a printer, since I've long been paperless at home. :)

I think you can print off stuff at Staples.
robow8
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Phil » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:17 pm

UPS stores as well. Get the store number and their email, forward it to them, they'll print it out.

Any word on Tioga Rd opening date yet?
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Phil wrote:
Any word on Tioga Rd opening date yet?

The snow is definitely gone by now, they just need to clear the trees/branches, but I suspect that will take a few weeks. Guess my June 17th permit is done
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:16 am

WanderingJim wrote:Okay, at least they aren't cancelling all the permits for people who have current permit reservations.

The backcountry is opening. The rest is staying shut. I suspect this is a phased reopen, sort of like what SEKI is doing.

I send my color printouts to Office Depot online and pick it up instead of using an inkjet printer. Less expensive that way... if you don't need a printer otherwise, that's a cheaper option.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:24 am

how far in advance could we call for the permit speech and to have it emailed to us?
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 am

damu21 wrote:how far in advance could we call for the permit speech and to have it emailed to us?

Go to the website. Nine day lead time on walk ins. The rest are reserved per usual in advance. You don't call, you apply online for a walk in lottery.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby damu21 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:33 am

AlmostThere wrote:
damu21 wrote:how far in advance could we call for the permit speech and to have it emailed to us?

Go to the website. Nine day lead time on walk ins. The rest are reserved per usual in advance.

i already have reservations, so what i mean is could i call like 2-3 weeks in advance to get it emailed to me so i could print it out? or i cant do that until 9 days prior? i cant seem to find anything on the nps website and im not sure of any other yosemite info webistes.
damu21
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:39 am

They will probably call you. Probably two days before, since you can enter the park one day before the date on the permit.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:34 am

I never get the speil anymore. They just ask me which of my cans I'm using, circle the key points, tell me to sign. Every once in a while I'll get some newbie or volunteer try to hit me up with a LNT question or something about water setbacks and fire rings.

I'm wondering a couple things though: regardless of the speil, the trip leader has to sign acknowledging responsibility for the group and that they understand the rules, and the permit isn't valid until they sign, so how's that going to work in a no-contact world? That's always been the biggest part of a permit. And, while they did mention in the new regulations that those in a group under permit would be allowed into the gates, without that permit, how do they prove it if they're in another car?
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am

when I pick up the forest service permit from a night drop, there is always a little flag where I sign. I sign it and put it in my pocket.

I have been re-dialing this morning in an attempt to figure out how my friends who will be arriving in a different car should proceed. I assume that I will print my copy of the permit and forward a copy to them.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:18 pm

Dang, wish I'd gotten a wilderness permit for this weekend. The chance to be in the park with very few people would be fun. :)

I'll have to wait until at least the 27th.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:09 am

This from the Yosemite News forum

Walk-up wilderness permits are not available in the park in 2020. Beginning June 11, 40% of permits that would normally be available first-come, first-served are instead available by lottery two weeks in advance. Beginning June 11, you can submit a request 15 days in advance of a hike, with the lottery running 14 days in advance. Unreserved permits remain available up to nine days in advance. It is not possible to obtain a wilderness permit reservation fewer than nine days in advance.

For hiking start dates from June 11 to June 25, any unreserved permits that are part of the 60% quota are available at https://yosemite.org/experience/wilderness-permits/
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:22 am

So the process from end to end:

Fill out the form online after checking full trailheads.
Get approved or rejected - if approved, pay for it online.
Get the confirmation email and attend a Zoom lecture - there are two daily. At the conclusion of the meeting you get a code.
Use the code to fill out another form, to confirm that you heard and agree to the park rules. They email the permit to you.
Drive to the park, show your ID and the permit to the gate.
If your group are in different cars, you will all caravan together. OR, if you absolutely can't caravan, each car needs a copy of the PERMIT HOLDER's ID plus wilderness permit ID to enter the park.

They attach an itinerary form for you to fill out and leave with a trustworthy person which SHOULD ALWAYS BE DONE. I like reconn.org better.

From the email I just got:

You may not enter the park with this permit more than one day before your trip start date.
If Half Dome is a part of your wilderness reservation, you must confirm payment with Yosemite Conservancy before your permit is issued.
Bear-Resistant Food Storage is required on all overnight stays in Yosemite Wilderness. We strongly encourage you to purchase or rent an allowed bear canister, before arriving in the park. Canister will be available for rent at select Wilderness Centers during limited hours at Yosemite Wilderness Permit Station for $5 per week (deposit required). Bear canisters will NOT be available at Hetch Hetchy.
You may not enter the park with this permit more than one day before your trip start date. For permit holders starting on June 5th, there is no ability to enter one day in advance. For those starting after June 5th, your permit will authorize you to stay at a Backpackers' Campgrounds one night before and one night after your trip. The cost is $6 per person, per night.
Check Current Wilderness Conditions for trail conditions and timely updates.
With limited resources due to COVID-19 and high risks involved in search and rescue operations, please plan your trip carefully and ensure all safety precautions are taken. Response times may be delayed if you call for help. Proper planning is integral to preventative search and rescue. Use attached form to create a wilderness plan and share with responsible parties before you come to the park.
While Wilderness is a place to get away, you will likely see other visitors and rangers. Please follow social distancing guidelines and respect the safety of other visitors and rangers when you encounter them. Please respect plants and animals throughout the park by following Leave No Trace ethics.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking