Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

4 miles outside of Lyell Canyon?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

4 miles outside of Lyell Canyon?

Postby BlueMtns » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:40 am

Our permit is in Sept and they sent us this information:

Travel at least four miles out Lyell Canyon before camping. Bears have been successful in getting food from backpackers in this area.

We start in Tuolumne Meadows, going to Ireland Lake before heading to Vogelsang - can anyone help pinpoint landmarks that would be considered '4 miles out' for camping the first night?

Thanks!
PS we have a bear canister, don't sleep where we eat, etc...
BlueMtns

Re: 4 miles outside of Lyell Canyon?

Postby WanderingJim » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 am

The Nat Geo maps show the no camping zone ending at group of (unnamed) small lakes/ponds along the JMT about a mile before the trail junction that heads to Ireland Lake.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby BlueMtns » Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:40 am

Perfect - thanks WanderingJim! I don't have that map (yet).
BlueMtns

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:53 pm

Yeah--I've always used that junction as a clear marker that I'm beyond the four miles. Camping gets better the further up the canyon you go.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:16 pm

You're going to want to be at Ireland Creek before you look for sites (lots of them...good ones...first outside the 4 mile radius). I would overnight it there and blow off Ireland Lake for camping. The lake is windy and camping is sparse, exposed, and lousy. And yes, there are lots of bears in that area.

The JMT x Ireland Creek junction is your landmark. Impossible to miss. Easy hike from TM. Park in the Wilderness office lot. Mileage out from there is ~ 5.5 miles.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby BlueMtns » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:22 am

Great - thanks, Phil and balzaccom. That is very helpful.
BlueMtns

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking