Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolumne Meadows Backpackers Canpground

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolumne Meadows Backpackers Canpground

Postby MikeP » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:08 pm

With current stage 2 fire restrictions, can anyone confirm if the Tuolumne Meadows backpackers campground has fire rings (individual sites not talking about the community rings) and if so are they permitted for use as a front country campground??

Current Fire Restrictions
Stage 2 fire restrictions are in effect.

Where: Parkwide except in open frontcountry campgrounds, picnic areas, and residential areas.
MikeP
Regular
Regular

Re: Tuolumne Meadows Backpackers Canpground

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:42 pm

I can't tell you if there are campfire rings...but if there are, you can use them, according to the current Yosemite guidelines.

But do you really need a campfire? And where will you get the wood?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MikeP » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:01 pm

My idea was to take some charcoal to cook a better meal before we eat dehydrated bags for 4 days. So use either the fire ring, if possible, or maybe the Lembert Dome picnic area. But I’ve never used either so I wasn’t sure about the options.
MikeP
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 am

I would take extra fuel and something to boil-in-bag. Don't take chances.

It's very, very very dry out there. Just got back from five days out in Yosemite, it's another drought year.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jvquarterback » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:58 am

Can't speak to TM but in the Valley at Upper Pines (where backpacker's are assigned to camp) there were multiple fires and the rangers didn't say a word. There was wood for sale in the village as well.

This was last Wednesday.
jvquarterback
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:43 am

jvquarterback wrote:Can't speak to TM but in the Valley at Upper Pines (where backpacker's are assigned to camp) there were multiple fires and the rangers didn't say a word. There was wood for sale in the village as well.

This was last Wednesday.

The ban is for areas outside developed campgrounds.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jvquarterback » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:20 am

AlmostThere wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:Can't speak to TM but in the Valley at Upper Pines (where backpacker's are assigned to camp) there were multiple fires and the rangers didn't say a word. There was wood for sale in the village as well.

This was last Wednesday.

The ban is for areas outside developed campgrounds.

Gotcha. I thought they moved the TM backpacker's camp to the developed campground as well. We were going to stay there the night after our trip but decided to head back to the valley. I'll be there in a couple weeks.
jvquarterback
Regular
Regular

Postby Paddy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 pm

They all have individual fire-rings (as of summer 2018). Don't know about fire restriction. I camped there during that big fire, and I've seen people lit up camp fire. Even the ranger had group camp fire at the "amphitheater".

One thing I do know is that one can not pick up dead woods at camp ground. Just buy them at store (if it is open).
Paddy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:59 pm

The Stage 2 fire restrictions apply to all wilderness, and that includes open fires for warmth and cooking, regardless of elevation. Fires in organized campgrounds are still allowed.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:50 am

Paddy wrote: Don't know about fire restriction. I camped there during that big fire, and I've seen people lit up camp fire. Even the ranger had group camp fire at the "amphitheater".

The fire ban is mentioned in all the pre-wilderness permit lectures and is in place partially because it is dry, but also because fighting a fire would force the crews to break social distancing while fighting it. All the national forests have a similar ban right now in California.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MikeP » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:33 pm

As an update (sorry this is late) we did stay in TM backpacker campground on 6-24. There were fire rings at each spot but even with the rings and the front country exception there were specific signs stating "NO FIRES." However, camping there was awesome because they closed the rest of the TM campground, so the backpackers had the entire place to ourselves. Around the Tuolomne River it normally would have been packed like an amusement park but we had a unique space of solitude. It was incredible.

Rest of the trip was great too. Stayed at Sunrise Backpackers camp first night. Swam in Sunrise lakes next day then over Clouds Rest. Camped a a great spot about 1,000 ft down from the summit on the SW descent. Awesome views of HD and the Valley. Sumitted HD the next day then stayed at LYVCG that night. Exited Happy Isles the next morning. Mosquitoes were moderate overall, bad in a couple spots but we had repellent and face nets.
MikeP
Regular
Regular

Postby jvquarterback » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:08 am

MikeP wrote:As an update (sorry this is late) we did stay in TM backpacker campground on 6-24. There were fire rings at each spot but even with the rings and the front country exception there were specific signs stating "NO FIRES." However, camping there was awesome because they closed the rest of the TM campground, so the backpackers had the entire place to ourselves. Around the Tuolomne River it normally would have been packed like an amusement park but we had a unique space of solitude. It was incredible.

Rest of the trip was great too. Stayed at Sunrise Backpackers camp first night. Swam in Sunrise lakes next day then over Clouds Rest. Camped a a great spot about 1,000 ft down from the summit on the SW descent. Awesome views of HD and the Valley. Sumitted HD the next day then stayed at LYVCG that night. Exited Happy Isles the next morning. Mosquitoes were moderate overall, bad in a couple spots but we had repellent and face nets.

Wish I had stayed there instead of heading back to the valley. Sounds nice.

Sorry to hijack this thread - Thinking of stopping near in that area of Clouds rest on my way from Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley. How close was your nearest water source there?
jvquarterback
Regular
Regular

Postby WanderingJim » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:26 pm

jvquarterback wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread - Thinking of stopping near in that area of Clouds rest on my way from Agnew Meadows to Yosemite Valley. How close was your nearest water source there?

I was up that way this past weekend.
If you're going through the Sunrise Lakes area and then up the Clouds Rest trail from the north, there is a small lake and stream about half way between the Sunrise and Forsyth Trails. That's your last water from the north.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby MikeP » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:45 pm

Yes, confirming the last response on the water. The stream crossings is at (37.7835, -119.4632). We had to load up with a lot of water and then haul it up Clouds Rest.
MikeP
Regular
Regular

Postby jvquarterback » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:05 pm

MikeP wrote:As an update (sorry this is late) we did stay in TM backpacker campground on 6-24. There were fire rings at each spot but even with the rings and the front country exception there were specific signs stating "NO FIRES." However, camping there was awesome because they closed the rest of the TM campground, so the backpackers had the entire place to ourselves. Around the Tuolomne River it normally would have been packed like an amusement park but we had a unique space of solitude. It was incredible.

I tried to recreate this part of the trip on may way yo YV from Agnew meadows last week. The trip was awesome but it was so hot the day going up to cloud's rest our water wasn't going last the night and get us down the mountain the next day so we stopped at the junction of CR and the JMT. Add to that a thunderstorm rolling in and my wife and I weren't staying up there. Awesome trip - I think I'm the last guy who saw snow on the trail over the Donohue Pass. Mosquitos are much better than they were three weeks ago.

I spoke to the campground attendant at TM and she told me no fires but kind of winked. There are freshly sawed logs from downed trees in the A loop of the camp.

I'm not going back til Labor day with the kids for a quick May lake trip.
jvquarterback
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking