Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Upper yosemite falls or mist trail

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Upper yosemite falls or mist trail

Postby dineshk » Thu May 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi all,
I am planning to visit Yosemite this Saturday (May 9th) and am wondering which hike I should do. I can't decide between upper yosemite falls trail or the mist trail. Can you recommend which one would be better based on trail conditions, water flow this time of the year etc.? Thanks.
dineshk

Postby john » Fri May 08, 2009 8:36 am

Both hikes are cool, but I would vote for the Mist Trail. I think the scenery is a little better, and there is ALOT to see on this hike that cannot be seen from the Valley.

If you do go up Yosemite Falls make sure to find the railed overlook or you'll be disappointed with the top.
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby dineshk » Fri May 08, 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks John. All my friends want to go to the upper yosemite falls trail. So, I guess we will be doing that one this weekend. Is the railed overlook near the top of the falls? Or is it the one at Yosemite point? Thanks again for your response.
dineshk

Postby john » Fri May 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Both the top of the falls and Yosemite Point have railed overlooks.

The thing about the top of the falls is that it's tough to see the falls real well unless you get to that overlook. When you get to the top find the bridge that crosses Yosemite creek. Before you cross it follow the creek downstream on a sort of sketchy trail heading right for the brink. There is a handrail to grab onto while doing this (it's not on the outside or downhill side). This trail will drop you down to a huge ledge that has a railing at the edge. Lean over the rail and you can see straight down the upper falls! Way cool!
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby dineshk » Mon May 11, 2009 1:33 pm

I ended up doing the Upper Yosemite falls hike and thoroughly enjoyed it. One regret is that some of my friends didn't get to see the "oh my gosh" point. I really wish they had a signpost for that amazing viewpoint. All in all, a wonderful hike. Thanks a lot for your input John.
dineshk

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking