Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Planning on a 3 days hike in yosemite in early summer

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Planning on a 3 days hike in yosemite in early summer

Postby madfish11084 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:12 pm

I've been to yosemite before but mostly in a car, hiked for about half a mile to yosemite fall and always end up eating in some restaurant. That's probably not the best way to experience one of the best national park. So im planning on a 3 days backcountry hiking for the first time for a group of people.

This is the first time we try to make it happen. Though I'd like to say that we are reasonably fit, but I dont think we have had any experience surviving without the luxury of knowing a supermarket is near by (those yrs of top ramen in college has taught us nothing). So i am here for 2 reasons :

+ a recommendation for the hike :
Im open to anything. I fell in love with the lakes here. so im looking forward to hike along rivers, lakes , fishing ,etc ...
I've mapped a loop based on post i found here ... may be we can start out with that:
day 1 : lembert dome -> dog lake -> young lakes (camp next to the lake)
day 2 : playing around young lakes
day 3 : hike back to the trail head via the route west of the route on first day.
+ a recommendation for us :
What should we prepare mentally , what should we bring aside the neccessaries ?
Or should we just forget it and go to the nearest park , read this forum there so we can live vicariously through your experience ?
madfish11084
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Planning on a 3 days hike in yosemite in early summer

Postby dan » Thu May 14, 2009 11:43 am

If this is your first time backpacking, I would make it easy with one camp. Young Lakes seems reasonable.

Bring mosquito repellent and a head net and long sleeves to protect against annoying mosquitos in the early evening. Bring warm clothes, including a warm hat for the night. It gets down to freezing even in summer at this altitude.

You must store all your food after the first in a bear barrel, which you can rent at the Wilderness Center in Tuolumne, where you pick up your WIlderness Permit. It's located in a large parking lot on the south side of the Tioga Road south of Lembert Dome, #3 on this map:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/tuolumne_meadows_map.jpg
For more details, see the NPS Wilderness webpage:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking