Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

parking @ tuolumne meadows

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

parking @ tuolumne meadows

Postby Lodi_27 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 am

my family and I will be visiting yosemite between may 31, and june 4. we're planning on parking the car @ tuolumne meadows the 31st, and taking yarts to the valley floor, and hiking back to tuolumne over the next 4 days. I was planning on picking up a permit in tuolumne meadows, I just need to know the best place to park, considering all that: the wilderness permit, yarts, and where the jmt comes out in tuolumne.

any advice would be much appreciated.
Jess
Lodi_27

Re: parking @ tuolumne meadows

Postby dan » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 am

Here's a map of Tuolumne Meadows area:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/tuolumne_meadows_map.jpg
Check for permit info here:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/

You pickup a permit at the Wilderness Center cabin in the parking lot south of Tioga Road across from Lembert Dome (the red #3 on the map). Check that YARTS is running then--it may be early. There's also a Hikers Bus (operated by YCS) that stops at the hotels and drops hikers off at various spots along the Tioga Road.

Personally, I prefer to start at the top and hike down, but then I'm lazy :D. In any case, it's a scenic hike.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby airrj » Thu May 14, 2009 10:35 pm

I have used the hikers bus many times as well. It is a great service. They will stop at any of the trailheads along Tioga Road. And I am with Dan on this one, I am lazy, I like to hike from the top down. Try to catch Clouds Rest along the way. It is a great spot.
airrj
Regular
Regular

Postby Lodi_27 » Fri May 15, 2009 2:11 am

wow. I somehow hadn't even thought about going from tuolumne down, that certainly would be less of a climb. brilliant.
Jess
Lodi_27

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 18, 2009 7:25 am

Isn't it kind of premature to plan this until Tioga Road opens? I know it usually opens by Memorial Day but sometimes it doesn't....
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby travelster » Mon May 18, 2009 3:08 pm

White Wolf - Tuolumne Meadows had gorgeous waterfalls that you hike up to, beautiful pools, and rushing rivers that are awesome spots for a night camp.
travelster

Return to Visiting Yosemite