Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolumne Meadows Backpack

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolumne Meadows Backpack

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:57 pm

Tuolumne Meadows
Author: Helen (63.122.243.---)
Date: 04-15-02 13:20

We're thinking of doing a 3-day backpacking trip in Toulumne over Memorial Day Weekend. Does anyone have any good suggestions for about a 20-ish mile loop where we wouldn't encounter too many people over the long weekend? Are there specific grounds where we'd have to camp at, or would anywhere suffice? What are the snow conditions going to be like at that time of year? Do we have to have a four-season tent to do a trip at that time of year?

Re: Tuolumne Meadows
Author: Dan Anderson (---.ca.us)
Date: 04-15-02 17:45

Memorial Day weekend is still early for the High Sierra (that is, areas at or near treeline). You'll probably be finding large patches of snow. It makes hiking inconvenient and sometimes the trail becomes hard-to-find.

To avoid Crowds, avoid the immediate road area, Tuolumne Meadows, Lyell Canyon, the High Sierra Loop, including Glenn Aulin. I would head north from the Tioga Road, there's lots of uncrowded country there.

You can camp anywhere you want, as long as it's not next to the trail, a lake, or stream.

Bring a bear canister, mosquito repellent, and a mosquito head net.

Author: Rick Ellis (63.95.39.---)
Date: 04-17-02 16:16

While it'll probably be warm and without snow below 8000' (or higher since this is a dry year) you should be prepared for bad weather. I'd probably try to avoid going higher than the meadows with the amount of snow that'll probably still be on the ground there.

Author: karl dupre' (---.nash01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: 01-13-03 20:25

If conditions permit tuolumne to pate valley to white wolf is a wonderful 26 mi. trip.Tuolumne is the highest point on the trail.there have been years when the road wasn't opened until late june,so you might want to make backup plans at lower elevations like Hetch Hetchy or the south rim trails.It's all good.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

advice on backpacking trip frmo Tuolumne Meadows

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:08 am

Author: kem (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: 01-24-04 13:14

Hi,

We're planning on backpacking in Yosemite at the end of June or early July. We're experienced backpackers, but we've never backpacked in Yosemite. I was wondering if anyone has advice for a good loop of about 25-35 miles and good places to stop along the way? We're assuming we'd leave from the Tuolumne Meadow area, but we're open to anything.

Thanks so much.

~kem

Re: advice on backpacking trip
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 01-24-04 20:48

There's lots of ideas already in this phorum, but here's a few off the top of my head:

I suggest starting from Tuolumne Meadows.
Head north to if you want solitude. If there has been a lot of rain or snow, some rivers may not be crossable.

Head south through Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne River and then up one of the trails that head west (Vogelsang area). Avoid Vogelsang itself as it's a sometimes crowded High Sierra Camp (although it may not be open in June).

Similar opportunities lie south from the Dana Meadows area (east of Tuolumne Meadows).

For low country, I like the north rim of the Yosemite Valley. You reach it from one of several trailheads off the Tioga Road.

Other popular areas are areas southeast of the Glacier Point Road.

Get a topo map of the Park--not a road map. It's very useful for trip planning.

Re: advice on backpacking trip
Author: Martin (206.190.76.---)
Date: 03-08-04 23:04

If you are leaving from T. Meadows and want a 25-30 mile loop, I would head up the Lyell Fork and branch off to Vogelsang. As mentioned above, there is a High Sierra Camp at Vogelsang but it is easliy avoided and camping can be found all over the area. From Vogelsang, you've got a few options: 1) Head over Vogelsang Pass and complete the loop that heads down towards Merced Lake beside Lewis Creek and back up to Vogelsang High Sierra Cam (up Fletcher Creek) then out the way you came in. Of course you can do this same loop on reverse) 2) Head down this valley (Fletcher Creek drainage) from Vogelsang Camp to Merced Lake High Sierra Camp then up Echo Creek to Sunrise High Sierra Camp and out via the Cathedral Lakes trail(ie. John Muir Trail) This is beautiful country throughout but it is a bit heavily trodden. As for the High Sierra Camps, you can avoid them by finding a campsite outside their influence. How far you want to hike each day will determine that. But then, you may enjoy being around other people and want to camp in the sites provided for backpackers. There are toilets.
Another option on the Lyell fork is to hike up the fork (not turning off for Vogelsang) all the way to the lakes beneath Donohue Pass, stay overnight, backtrack a bit and take the turnoff to Tuolomme Pass pass Eveyln Lake which takes you to Vogalsang High Sierra Camp where you can hike back to the trailhed going the reverse of entry hike above.
If you haven't already, purchase the book "Yosemite National Park" by Jefrey Schaffer. (Wilderness Press) The map is fantastic as are the trail descriptions.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking