Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

High Sierra camp site: Vogelsang, some questions

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

High Sierra camp site: Vogelsang, some questions

Postby SAFNYC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:42 pm

I'm thinking about hiking solo through Lyell Canyon and will need to spend a night in the Vogelsang area. I prefer not to carry a tent with me because the hike is fairly long. What's the deal with these high sierra sites? I've never stayed at one. Looks decent with a bed and running water. July 15th is available: Does that mean I would arrive on the 15th and spend the night into the 16th with meals served on the 16th, or do I have to arrive on the 14th with meals served on the 15th. Just a bit confused there, I guess I'll just call the office and confirm. Just wondering if there was anything else I need to know about these sites from folks who may have stayed at one in the past

Thanks
SAF
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: High Sierra camp site: Vogelsang, some questions

Postby dan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:40 pm

EDIT: date example corrected.

You didn't ask, but first, I would take the Evelyn Lake trail to Vogelsang, not Raferty Creek. The Raferty Creek trail has less views (it's in the trees more often), more mules (poop and deep trenches), and more people. OTOH, Raferty Creek trail to Vogelsang isn't as steep and is slightly shorter, but I still prefer the Evelyn Lake (more southeast trail) to Vogelsang.

The dates are just like hotel dates--it's the night of your stay. If you have a reservation for the 15th, you hike in the 15th, and hike out the 16th. You should spend the night before at high elevation to acclimatize (I recommend the Tuolumne Campground or HSC). You get a dinner on the 15th, breakfast the next day, and a bag lunch for the next day.

Here's the official website that has tips for getting ready:
http://www.yosemitepark.com/Accommodati ... Ready.aspx

You need a daypack with clothing, water, and food for hiking in. Bring suncreen, bug repellent, hat for sun, flashlight or headlamp, and cap or hat for warmth at night. Most important of all: MAKE SURE YOUR BOOTS FIT. If they are new boots, break them in by wearing them ahead of time. Have fun.
Last edited by dan on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SAFNYC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks, I think you meant to say hike in on the 15th and hike out on the 16th.
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds