Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2 day/1 night backpacking overnight in yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2 day/1 night backpacking overnight in yosemite

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:03 am

Author: Jenny (---.accenture.com)
Date: 07-23-02 10:57

A friend and I want to go for a 2 day hike. We don't have much backpacking experience and are looking for a hike that is moderate in difficulty. What is a good trail to take (preferably not in the valley)? The more scenic the better!

Thanks!
Jenny

you can email me if you want at: jhosel@yahoo.com

Re: 2day/1 night backpacking overnight
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 07-23-02 12:26

It depends on what you want to see. Here's a few suggestions:

1. If you want to see views of the valley and camp in the forest, I recommend the north rim of Yosemite Valley. You can hike in from the Tioga Road at Porcupine Flats or Yosemite Creek and camp near the Valley Rim or along Yosemite Creek. Several dayhikes are possible along the trail that follows the north rim east - west.

2. For High Sierra alpine views, I recommend backpacks starting out from Tuolumne Meadows or Dana Meadows. Lots of scenic lakes, wildflowers. The Lyell Fork of the Tuolumnee River is the most crowded destination.

In any case, bring mosquito reppellent (and possibly a head net) and buy or rent a bear canister.

See also other postings in this forum. Also go to a local outdoor store and buy a map of Yosemite to get ideas

Re: 2day/1 night backpacking overnight
Author: Jenny Hosel (---.accenture.com)
Date: 07-24-02 13:56

Thanks for the advice Dan!!! You're awesome!
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking