Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Can we use a tent on a trailer site?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Can we use a tent on a trailer site?

Postby mo-yo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:37 am

Hi,

We are planning on a stay in Yosemite, Mon-Thurs, July 27-30 during a month long cross-country trip in July.

The plan is to arrive from Grants Grove Cabins in Kings Canyon and stay the first night in Curry Village or Housekeeping Camp. (We have reservations for Curry, but I am looking for a Housekeeping opening.) Then we head to Tuolumne Meadows to tent camp for two nights.

I was bummed to have missed the date to get reservations for Tuolumne Meadows, but I think :? I've had a bit of luck...

Earlier this week, I scored a tent site for one night on July 29.

Last night, a trailer/rv site became available for July 28...so I booked it.

So...my questions are:

"Are there any restrictions on staying at a trailer site with a tent?"...and

"Do you think the rangers will let us stay at the same site the second night or will we have to move?

Also any general tips you have on campsite selection, or sites to see are greatly appreciated. We (me, my husband, son -12; daughters- 8 and 11) are looking forward to this once-in-a-lifetime trip, and we appreciate your help.

:D
mo-yo
First-timer
First-timer

Postby jpcal » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:38 pm

We always get a trailer site although we only use tents. We do have a lot of equipment so we need the extra space that a regular tent site won’t hold. You should be fine by having the trailer site, however it just limits what site are available to you. For instance, sites closer to the river are mostly tent sites with a few trailer sites available. Most trailer sites will be in the b and c loops. Once they put you in a site and you have a couple nights reserved they will not move you. They generally will fill up the campground with what is available to them. I have seen single tents in spots that are designated for RVs. It is going to be harder to get a specific spot especially during the end of July. It is usually full so there won’t be much choosing. When you get to the kiosk just ask them what is available and pick the best one for you. We’ll be up there on the 30th for a week. Have fun.
PS- go to this site Yosemite campsites dot com / Tuolumne, had to put it like this for it to go through.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds