Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trail to Glen Aulin

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trail to Glen Aulin

Postby marchbrowngirl » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi,

I'm planning an overnight with friends to go to Glen Aulin. I have seen conflicting reports on trail length, and elevation change. How hard is this?

Thanks so much.

J
Jayne
marchbrowngirl

Postby jpcal » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:28 pm

I have personally never done it but people I know have and they say that it is downhill from TM to Glen Aulin HSC. Not a huge drop but gradual. They said it was just a long walk but nothing to crazy, don't quote me but I think they said it was around 15-18 miles round trip depending if you were to go down to the waterwheels.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Keep35 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:25 pm

From the TM trailhead, it is 10.4 mi out and back. Easy as a backpack, moderate as a day hike. About a 700' elevation change, mostly downhill in, which of course means uphill on the way back.

Worth an extra day to make the trip down to Waterwheel Falls, again all downhill in, but well worth the trip. It's 2.7 miles in, so it's a good day hike if you camp 2 nights.

Glen Aulin is popular, so it might be crowded this time of year.
Be careful of bears! There are some bear boxes, but not near enough, take a bear canister, keep it tight. You'll also need a wilderness permit to camp overnight.

Have fun! I wish I was in Yosemite right now.
Keep35

Glen Aulin

Postby marchbrowngirl » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks so much for the info! I now feel sure I can put a little time in and be able to do this with no problems. I have a bear canister. Thanks for the heads up.

Jayne
Jayne
marchbrowngirl

Return to Visiting Yosemite