Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Arriving late to a backpack camp site?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Arriving late to a backpack camp site?

Postby markk22 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:36 am

I have a few questions with regards to the BP campgrounds. First off this is my plan for 5+ days of hikes:

Monday July 27- Day hike off Tioga rd. (redwood grove & North dome)Then take car and drop it off in valley. Need a valley BP site or walkin as we are taking hikers bus to Tennya the next morning. What are the options? Should I try to pull a permit just so I can stay at the BP site or will my permit for SR lakes work in the valley?

Tuesday- Catch bus to Tennya, then hike to CR and camp.

Wed- CR to HD then back to valley. (have a room that night.)

Thursday- H.I to Ill or Mono Med. Camp overnight then back out the next day. Back in the valley late but with a permit in hand. Will there be anything at the BP sites?

Friday- Leave valley. Day hike off tioga rd again. No permit so I need a camp. Should I try to find one before I day hike and set up? I don't have plans set in stone for this day. So any hike advice or ideas would be great!
markk22

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:48 pm

The backpacker campgrounds are pretty much a free for all. You can share a site if someone agrees to do that, or you can go over to Camp 4 and share a site with a bunch of climbers. Your permit works for any of the backpacker campgrounds, I believe. I arrived around 2 pm in the valley BP campground and the place was wide open; by 8 pm was filling up, and people were still showing up at 10. Somehow they all managed.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds