Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpack with Solitude

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpack with Solitude

Postby archive » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Author: Kevin Kennedy (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:55

I realize this may be impractical, but I was wondering about backpacking during the week of July 4th. Any chance of visiting the least frequented areas during this time of the year? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin.

Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:58

The northern part of Yosemite Park, north of Tuolumne and Hetch Hetchy Resevoir are relatively isolated and unvisited. There's beautiful canyons, lakes, streams, and peaks in the area.

Another area is southeast of Glacier Point Road.

Avoid Tuolumne and south and Little Yosemite Valley--very crowded.

Author: Kevin Kennedy (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 04-28-01 15:58

Thanks for the tip.

Sincerely, Kevin.

Re: Solitude
Author: Rick Ellis (63.95.39.---)
Date: 04-17-02 16:19

Hiking out of White Wolf to the Tuolumne River my saw only 4 people outside of my group the entire second day. It was one of those crowded July 4th weekends.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Getting lost on purpose in Yosemite

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:44 am

Author: Patrick (67.89.151.---)
Date: 05-08-03 16:21

When I go to Yosemite in early Aug., I want to see as few people as possible. I have been mostly day hiking with the exception of Mt. Whitney and Mt. Russel and am planning on being out three nights. Where can I go? I have heard Hetch Hetchy is less traveled.

Re: Getting lost
Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 05-08-03 22:38

Here's where I would go, to avoid people and see beautiful, isolated backcountry:

1) The north country of Yosemite National Park. Pretty, isolated, rugged canyons and few people. Enter from Tuolumne meadows (most crowded trailhead), or better yet, from Twin Lakes from the east or from the highway at Sonora Pass from the north.

2) The north country via Hetch Hetchy. Lower elevation, more trees, but still isolated.

3. The country southeast from Glacier Point. The rugged Clark Range and lots of canyons.

4) Stay away from Tuolumne meadows (except as access-see #1) and from the High Sierra Camp loop. It's not necessary to be on trails with billions of people and mules to see beautiful country.

5) Stay away from Little Yosemite Valley at a
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking