Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking Half Dome, need a campsite to stay at

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking Half Dome, need a campsite to stay at

Postby phazan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:05 pm

Hi, me and some friends are planning a trip to hike up half dome in a week. I was looking at the Crane Flat campground, and half of it is first come first serve. I'm going on a Monday, so can I expect to get a campsite? If not where else should I stay? Thank you for any help!
phazan

Re: Hiking Half Dome, need a campsite to stay at

Postby dan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Monday is a good day as many people are leaving after the weekend. Get there in the morning (9am-noon) if you can. No guarantees though--August is a popular month.

Of the list of campgrounds, the ones outside of Yosemite Valley are not as popular:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm
Tamarack Flat is a good choice because it's hard to get to. You drive several miles in on a dirt road. You don't need 4WD, but it's not paved.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby phazan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:24 pm

Awesome, thank you for your help!
phazan

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds