Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Tuolumne Camp

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Tuolumne Camp

Postby hatomato » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Just curious if anyone has knowledge of some good (preferably cheap or free) camping somewhere in the Tuolumne Meadows area or nearby. I know I can always try the backpackers camp, but am looking for a lot more privacy. There's gotta be some secret areas at the meadows? Anyone willing to share?

Also, has anyone stayed at either Tioga or Ellery Lake? I know it's first-come tent camping, but how hard do you think it'll be to find a spot for next weekend.

Cheers
hatomato
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:15 pm

If you are trying to camp in the backpacker campground, you need a wilderness permit. If you are caught camping within four trail miles of Tuolumne Meadows outside established campgrounds, you will be fined regardless of whether you have a wilderness permit or not and very likely ejected from the park. Since the entire meadows area is heavily patrolled that would be a pretty big risk.

Outside the park on that side, there's Saddlebag, Tioga and Ellery - they were pretty busy last Friday when I went by in the YARTS. And the motels in Lee Vining.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jpcal » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:52 am

You won't find too much privacy in the Saddlebag, Tioga and Ellery lake area. This area is vary popular with people fishing. Saddlebag Lake gets full with campers, lots of people fishing, and hikers going to the 20 lakes basin. Tioga and Ellery Lake are also popular places to fish, and they have the highway pass near the campgrounds.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds