Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Day hikes with kids in Yosemite

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Day hikes with kids in Yosemite

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:45 am

Author: Debbie Miller (---.carolina.rr.com)
Date: 05-19-03 10:23

We'll be staying in Yosemite West for 6 days in early June and I am trying to plan some good day hikes (1 full-day and several 1/2 day hikes). The children are ages 9 and 11 and are good walkers, but they'll be wearing running sneackers and I don't want to take them on very treacherous terrain. Yet we'd like some fabulous scenery away from the throngs of people! We're doing the 1/2 day horseback ride to Clark's Point and biking the Valley floor.I have gotten some ideas for hikes near Yosemite West from other postings on this website, but wanted to check on appropriateness for kids: From Glacier Point Road to Sentinel Dome and/or Taft Point; From Glacier Point Road to Dewey Point and on to Inspiration Point, ending at Tunnel View (How long a hike is that?). Any others? Any suggestions for a 1/2 day hike in or near the Tuolumne Meadows area that would inspire the family? Thanks for your input!

Re: Day hikes with kids
Author: Dan Anderson (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 05-19-03 23:22

The trails to Sentinel Dome and Taft Point are on well-maintained trails, not flat, but not steep either. Same for Dewey Point.

Tunnel view from Glacier Point can be done in a day if you have someone to pick you up. It's steep as you get closer to the Tunnel View.

Tuolumne Meadows: Go to California and Waterwheel Falls (northwest of Tuolumne Meadows). Go early in the day before the crowds. Also nice: Lyell Fork south from the Tioga Road.

Re: Day hikes with kids
Author: Ed (---.sanfrancisco-08rh15rt-ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: 06-02-03 21:55

Last year I took my 5-year old son on the hike to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome. He made it fine with just a few rests along the way. If you go to both, take the Ponono Trail between them instead of going back the trailhead at the road. You parallel the top of the valley and get some magnificent views along the way. After you cross Sentinel Creek (its the only water crossing on the trail) take the unmarked side trail to the edge of the cliff for a spectacular view right above Sentinel Falls. If you go to Tuolumne Meadows check out Pothole and/or Lembert Domes. We didn't have time for Lembert but I got him up Pothole with no trouble. A little slippery but lots of fun and a 360 degree view from the top. And if you go up to the Meadow don't forget to stop at Tenaya Lake for an afternoon dip.

Have a great time. I'm going there again next week and bringing the whole family this time including my 3 and 2 year olds. Won't be able to do very much hiking but I know of a few short ones that are well worth it.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Family Day Hikes

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:10 am

Family Day hikes
Author: Pnp (---.co.orange.ca.us)
Date: 03-30-04 13:44

Hi

We are going to be in yosemite April 11 & 12. I would like to do a day hike - about 5 hrs. Any recommendations.

Re: Family Day hikes
Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 03-30-04 15:40

Hike up the beginning of the Johm Muir Trail from Happy Isles to Vernal Falls, Silver Apron, and Nevada Falls.

The Mist trail may still be closed for the season, but you can take the (high) John Muir Trail.

You can hike up the Yosemite Falls Trail. It's probably a bit much in 5 hours, but you can hike to the bottom of the Upper Falls and see the rarely-seen pools at the bottom of the Upper Falls and the cascades between the upper and lower falls.

A flat-lander hike would be from Yosemite Lodge or the Swinging Bridge area west to Bridalveil Falls (aka Pohono Falls) via the south side trail that goes along the south side of the valley (east-west). Well-shaded.

If you want to see Redwoods, head to the south end of the park and walk into Tuolumnee Grove of Giant Sequoias (it's a bit of a drive from the Valley to get there though).

Re: Family Day hikes
Author: Martin (206.190.76.---)
Date: 03-31-04 22:43

I was in the valley last weekend and the Mist trail was offically closed ("due to rockslide danger") but it was being extensively used. In fact, everyone who was hiking pass the Vernal Falls bridge was taking the Mist Trail.
The Yosemite Falls trail was clear all the way up, too. If you go there, you need not climb all the way to the top. In fact, the view is actually much better about 1/2 mile beyond the viewpoint of the upper and middle falls. There you'll find a convinent rockfall that provided prime seating for the best view of the falls, which, by the way, are pumping something fierce. The view from the top just gives you a look over the cliff. From the rockfall, you get the falls in the foreground, the middle cascades, the eastern valley floor, half dome, clouds rest, Mt Starr King and the Clarke Range. Last Sat. I spent a good hour just watching the morning light change the landscape.
You'll have a great time whichever hike you choose.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite