Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Easy Day Hikes (Walks)??

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Easy Day Hikes (Walks)??

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:33 am

Author: tj (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: 08-21-05 15:44

Or should I say "WALKS".... don't laugh but are there any hikes for a 50 something.. slightly overweight and out of shape couple or should we stick to the buses and our car? We are going around Halloween.

Re: Easy Hikes??
Author: Sean (---.dantel.com)
Date: 09-02-05 11:44

There are lots of easy "walks" around the valley floor. Email me and we can talk.

Sean
friantdad@yahoo.com

Author: Jon (---.goldrush.com)
Date: 09-11-05 20:33

No need to stick to your car. Some of the most scenic views in Yosemite can be had walking on level trails in the Valley. Here's one suggestion: start at 1) Stoneman Meadow (near the Curry Village parking area) and take the bike/footpath across the meadow (heading NW). 2) Then hike to Yosemite Falls. 3) Take the path back across the Valley and walk along southside drive East to get back to the Curry Village parking area.
This is @ 4-6 miles.
For a shorter hike and more solitude you could take the shuttle to Lower Yosemite Falls, and follow the signs to the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail (no, don't worry, I'm not sending you up THAT trail). Go past the Upper FAlls trailhead, past camp4 and to the first trail that crosses the road. This will take you to Leidig Meadow, which offers some nice views of the Valley, without the crowds. (backtrack to the shuttle stop). This is around 2-3 miles and has minimal elevation gain.
Also, have you considered renting bikes? They can be a fantastic way to experience the Valley.

Author: TB (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 01-24-06 09:25

I posted this in another section of this web site... but it might be worthy of notice under this topic also.
tb

For "older" hikers... (such as myself) you might consider the Sentinel Dome hike. Drive to the trailhead on Glacier Point Rd. and head out. Turn right after a hundred yards at the sign and head to the dome. There are a few rather tough grades but nothing anyone can't do. Just stop and rest when you need to blow. You'll pass through some nice wooded areas and the climb to the top of the dome is not as tough as it looks. The trail takes you around to the other side of the dome and it is a much easier climb. First view of the dome is from the north side and it is scarey, but keep going. As I said, you will go around the dome to the other side and a much more gentle grade. Remember... stop and rest frequently. Once you get to the top... you have...(my opinion) the greatest view in Yosemite. A full 360 degrees. Start looking at Half Dome, cross over Vernal and Nevada Falls, Liberty Cap and Mt. Broderick... over to Illilouette Fall... over the Clark Range... then you can see the north end of Yosemite Valley. Pick up the Cathedral Spires, El Capitan, Three Brothers, Yosemite Falls... and You can look right down into the middle Cascades. Look on to Indian Canyon, The Arches, North and Basket Domes, Washington Colum, Tenaya Canyon and back to Half Dome.
Bring lots of film or video tape. The hike back is easier because it's all down hill. If you still have gas in the tank... instead of going back to your car... when you get to the trailhead keep going and in about a mile you will get to Taft Point. You are right across from Three Brothers and El Capitan. Pretty spectacular stuff. You are up at about 8,000 feet so you may find you have to stop frequently to catch your breath.
As I said, these are ideal hikes for older hikers. Not much physical exertion for the younger folks... but that view up on top of Sentinel is fantastic.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite