Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Travelling to Yosemite from San Francisco

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Travelling to Yosemite from San Francisco

Postby damir » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi.

We are visiting USA this summer and plan to go to Yosemite (from San Francisco). We have to resort to public transportation though because driving licenses from our country are as yet not admissible in USA rent-a-car agencies.

Can someone please advise us how to best reach Yosemite? Currently we are only aware of (rather overpriced) Yosemite Tours and the Amtrak way which seems to be the best choice, but since it seems to be the only one I'm not sure of its availability during the summer months when conceivably it's pretty crowded.

I thank you in advance for any kind of tips you may have.

Cheers! :D
damir
Regular
Regular

Postby Wickett » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:26 pm

When are you going? On the off chance that I know someone who is heading down that way during that time.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Pellegrina » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:38 pm

My son and his friends rented a retired police van from a rental agency in 2003 with non-USA licences for a similar trip, I guess not all rental agencies are the same.
Pellegrina

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:03 pm

It should be simple enough to take Amtrak to Merced and board a YARTS bus. I think the YARTS stops at the airport and the Amtrak station. You might have to layover a night in Merced, depending on how the YARTS schedule is laid out - they only stop in a single spot once a day. Check out yarts.com for last year's schedule, next year's will probably be similar.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Johny12 » Sat May 22, 2010 12:49 am

Rules of rental agencies are quite different. However it could be a lot of time waste in the local transportation & also have to wait for next bus time as well. You can also get shared views of different professional travelers from here & can choose appropriate way easily.
Johny12
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Travelling to Yosemite from San Francisco

Postby hotrod4x5 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 am

damir wrote:Hi.

We are visiting USA this summer and plan to go to Yosemite (from San Francisco).

I thank you in advance for any kind of tips you may have.

Cheers! :D
How was your trip?
hotrod4x5
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite