Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Visiting this December

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park. How to get there, what to see or do, and other Yosemite trip advice.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Visiting this December

Postby carlo186 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 am

Is visiting in December 22-27 recommended? I mainly want to be able to sight-see with the kids. Or are we not going to be able to see some of the spots (half dome for example) due to road conditions.

Appreciate any suggestions or sources of info. I was looking around the forum but saw a lot of hiking snowshoes etc etc related posts. We have 3 kids 14,12 and 10.

On a related question, we're staying in Oakhurst so how will the roads most likely be then (41N and 140E). Thanks in advance.
carlo186

Postby jpcal » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

Probably going to need tire chains just in case they enforce them. Once your in the valley you should be fine to see everything, most of the famous scenic spots can be seen throughout the valley.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Even if there is snow (very likely) the main roads into the valley are plowed. Tioga Pass will be closed, but you can see views of Half Dome and other famous landmarks from the valley. Chains will be mandatory in case there is new snowfall, and will be convenient for you so you won't have to wait for clear roads if it does drop an inch of snow while you're there.

Yosemite is beautiful and quiet in winter. Dress warm and have fun. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Dave Miller » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:51 pm

One of the things you should consider doing if there is snow higher up is going up to Badger Pass and participating in one of the showshoe tours. The cost is about $5 and that includes the showshoes. I did it with my kids and it was a blast. My 8 year old daughter complained a bit at first, but after she got going, she was all smiles! The Ranger took us up to a ridge and we had a great view of the mountains of the Clark Range. Badger pass also has a snow play area and there is one a mile before you get to the entrance gate on HWY 41.

If there is not much snow, make sure and check out Merced Grove. The Grove is a couple miles from the HWY 41 gate. In snow conditions, they will close the road so snowshoes would be helpful.

I wouldn't worry about the road conditions as long as you have chains. There is a lot to see in winter and if you are fortunate enough to be there when it is snowing, it's magical.

Enjoy!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby ryanmj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Ill most likely be up their at that time too, I hear its awesome in the winter I cant wait.
ryanmj
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Visiting Yosemite