Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Help! Bicycling Over the Tioga Pass ...

Information on possible opening and closing dates for the Tioga Road (Highway 120 East) through Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Help! Bicycling Over the Tioga Pass ...

Postby vja4Him » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:35 pm

We have a cyclist visiting us this evening. They should be arriving here soon ... It's now 6:32 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. We are in Modesto, California.

Does anyone live near the Tioga Pass, or know somebody who does? I tried calling the Lee Vining Ranger Station, but couldn't speak with a live person.

I contacted a recording that said the Tioga Pass was closed due to snow. I spoke with the Ranger at Lee Vining last Thursday, and he said the pass was closed to cars, but a bicycle could get through, as the snow was melting, but that was last week.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'd hate to see this cyclist make it to the Tioga Pass, or close, only to find out they couldn't continue on, and then have to cycle back down to the valley, and find another route.

Thanks!!!
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Postby Wickett » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:03 pm

If you do not hear from your friend I would call the ranger stations. I hope everything turns out ok.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby vja4Him » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:14 am

Wickett wrote:If you do not hear from your friend I would call the ranger stations. I hope everything turns out ok.

Sorry ... I just re-read my previous post, and realized that I did not make it clear. Our cyclist friend is going ride from Modesto up Highway 120, and find a place to camp somewhere around Groveland, then continue on riding up to the Tioga Pass, and then on down to Panama from there!
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Postby vja4Him » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:16 am

vja4Him wrote:
Wickett wrote:If you do not hear from your friend I would call the ranger stations. I hope everything turns out ok.

Sorry ... I just re-read my previous post, and realized that I did not make it clear. Our cyclist friend is going ride from Modesto up Highway 120, and find a place to camp somewhere around Groveland, then continue on riding up to the Tioga Pass, and then on down to Panama from there!

They will be leaving Modesto this morning ...
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Re: Help! Bicycling Over the Tioga Pass ...

Postby darla » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:39 am

Sonora Pass has opened and closed and opened again.

I suspect you will have to check before you go and take whatever's open - Sonora will be getting snow again this weekend.
Last edited by darla on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
darla

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:09 am

darla wrote:Sonora Pass has opened and closed and opened again.

I suspect you will have to check before you go and take whatever's open - Sonora will be getting snow again this weekend.

since it is a five year old post, I am pretty sure the ride is over with a long time ago.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby vja4Him » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:25 am

Yes, the cyclists we hosted have long since cycled over the Tioga Pass. One, a women from Australia, was on her way cycling to Mexico, through Central American, and all the way to the southern tip of South America ... !!! We have since has other cyclists, some who also cycled over the Tioga Pass, others on a different path.

Our home is still open to host cyclists ...... Plenty of space, inside or for putting up tents in our backyard .....
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Return to Tioga Road Opening/Closing