Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Are we making a mistake going in April when tioga's closed?

Travelling to and visiting Yosemite National Park in Winter and most of Spring, when snow is on the ground. Includes visiting in winter, snow play, downhill and nordic skiing, ice skating, snowshoeing, and snow camping.

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Are we making a mistake going in April when tioga's closed?

Postby rwylie77 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 am

Hi, we are planning an RV holiday in early April. Are we going to miss the best views in yosemite by going when the tioga pass is closed? What are the alternative routes like in April? Would we have a good time?
rwylie77
First-timer
First-timer

Re: Are we making a mistake going in April when tioga's clos

Postby dan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:06 pm

The best views of Yosemite are in Yosemite Valley, which is open year around. You'll miss the High Sierra along the Tioga Road and Glacier Point.

The Tioga Road doesn't usually open until May or June--sometimes July, so you'll have to visit in high season for that:
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

Late May/early June is good because it's before school is out for everyone and the waterfalls are at their highest.

I don't know if you'll have a good time. It will be cold, but I have a good time. Bring warm clothing and hot drinks.

For crossing the Sierra, the main alternate is I-80 around Lake Tahoe. You can also cross year 'round near Isabella Pass south of Bakersfield.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby baseline bum » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:49 pm

It's probably not what you want to hear, but yes, you will be depriving yourself of many of the greatest views in Yosemite by going in April. Even worse than missing the jaw-dropping drive down Tioga Pass Road is not being able to go experience the breathtaking views of the valley, Half Dome, and the High Sierra from Washburn Point and Glacier Point (unless you're an experienced cross-country skier, in which case you can drive to Badger Pass and go from there).
baseline bum
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:18 pm

If this is your first trip you will have plenty to do in the Valley. The views from Tioga and Glacier point are great. You will just have to come back, I know I was hooked after my first trip! :D
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Winter in Yosemite