Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

day hiking trails near tuolumne meadows in yosemite

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

day hiking trails near tuolumne meadows in yosemite

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:41 am

Author: Bruce (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: 07-22-04 09:36

my wife and i would like to take a day hike starting from tuolomne meadows vicinity. we usually walk at lest 3-4 hours but the hike should be relatively level and not too narrow or rocky (bad knees!)
any suggestions?

years ago i walked the trail to young lake. what is this trail like? it was so long ago i cant remember much, but i do recall walking on roads for part of it at least. are3 there views of the peaks from that trail?

thanks
Bruce

Author: Dan Anderson (---.drydog.com)
Date: 07-22-04 17:26

Young Lakes is about 5 miles north of the Tioga Road, so it's probably around 8 by trail, and around 1000' uphill. The first few miles are in relatively flat meadow, then it heads uphill.

It's a nice hike as not a log of people visit Young Lakes and you have views of Tuolumne Meadows along the way.

It'll probably take all day if you hike leasurely and stop for lunch at the Lakes.

Hiking down the Tuolumne River is popular. Lots of falls after Glen Aulin. But it could be busy on weekends and you have to hike uphill back.

Hiking south in Lyell Canyon gives you lots of pretty Alpine meadow scenery, with small lakes and stream-side views along the way. No views of Tuolumne Meadows unless you take one of the steep trails heading out of Lyell Canyon.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Best Hike out of Tuolumne Meadows

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:03 am

Author: Mike B. (---.san.rr.com)
Date: 10-06-04 00:15

I visited Yosemite Valley for only two days this past summer and I was fascinated by the park. I only did a short hike up to the small lake behind the top of Vernal falls, but it was awesome. I'm planning a return trip to the park next spring (early June?) and would like to hike the high country, starting in Tuolumne Meadows area.

I'm told this is a fantastic time for wildflowers and waterfalls, which will be good. My buddy and I are newbie hikers, but are in our mid 20's and in good shape. We want to do something overnight for at least one night, maybe more.

I'm trying to plan well in advance because I know its necessary to have reservations in some areas, but I wanted to try to get some recommendations of what the best hikes are.

Re: Best Hike out of Tuolumne
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 10-07-04 19:51

In early June the high country (Tuolumne for example) still has a lot of snow. Lots of high mounds to climb up and down all along the way. I would hike low in Hetch Hetchy or Little Yosemite Valley or out of Wawona then.

For Tuolumne, I would go in late June. Early or mid July if there is a lot of snow the previous winter.

Heading south on the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne is very scenic (lots of little lakes and the riverside) or up to Vogelsang if you want to get more of a workout and some great views.

There's lots of falls on the Tuolumne north from the Tioga Road. Many lakes within a days hike of Tioga Road. Mosquitos are a problem, so camp away from the water and wet areas.

There's other posts in this forum giving other ideas of where to go.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Tuolumne Meadow Hikes

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:23 am

Author: Anne (---.stclar01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: 07-09-05 23:22

Could you kindly recommend to me a few good moderate 5 to 10 mile round trip hikes, in the Tuolumne Meadow area. Is Lembert Dome too tough? We are a flatlander family of 5 in good shape that has hiked in the mountains before. Childrens ages are 16, 15 and 12. Thank you.

Also, are there usually afternoon thunderstorms in the high country, or is that only occasionally? Can you leave food in your car during the day at the trailhead parking in the high country? Or is food in your car/minivan anywhere in the park at any time an absolute no!

Thanks.

Anne

Re: Tuolumne Meadow Hikes
Author: Jon (---.goldrush.com)
Date: 09-12-05 20:54

Anne:
Figure you've probably already been to Yosemite, seeing the date of your question. However, if still in need of an answer regarding T.M. hikes, please see "Tuolumne Meadows in October".

Also, Lembert Dome is not too difficult if you're in decent shape.

NEVER leave food in your car. The park service makes it easy to obey the rules by providing bear-proof food containers in many convenient locations. While t-storms are not a daily occurance, it's always good (essential) to be prepared.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Nice hikes in Tuolumne in October?

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:25 am

Author: Ruth (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: 07-21-05 16:51

We're going to Yosemite the first week of October. Are there still nice hikes to do in Tuolumne at that time of year? We are going to spend the majority of our time in Yosemite Valley (thinking about doing Half Dome, Panorama Trail, Sentinel Dome, etc.) but I thought it might be nice to see another part of the park.

Re: Tuolumne in October?
Date: 09-12-05 06:15

Ruth:
Yes, there are many fine hikes in Tuolumne in October (in fact my wife and I will be there 9/30-10/2)! The Meadows can be beautiful at that time and by then the crowds have, for the most part disipated. If you need any suggestions, just let me know.
Jon Shannon
<www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com>

Re: Tuolumne in October?
Date: 09-12-05 20:46

Ruth:
Access to Half Dome has been restricted this summer. The restrictions are ending 10/4 (this was due to trail maintenance). The last section of trail to Half Dome has been closed M-F from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.

When you get into the Valley I recommend that you pick up 1) Map & Guide of Yosemite Valley and 2) Map & Guide of Tuolumne Meadows. These are only $2.50 each. These are not topographic maps, so are not fit for wilderness travel, but since you will not be straying too far from the Valley or Meadows, they should do just fine. In fact, you probably wouldn't need even these maps to find your way, but they do a fine job of helping you get acquainted with your surroundings.

My favorite trail in Tuolumne Meadows also happens to be a very laid back one. The John Muir Trail up Lyell Canyon, alongside the river has practically no elevation gain. It is supremely peaceful, an idyllic walk. Also, you can go as far up this 8 mile trail as you want, then just turn around. There are many spots along the way where you will probably want to sit by the river and enjoy the serenity. The campground closes in late September, so you'll really find solitude. I believe the store may be closed by then too, so bring what you need by way of food, etc.

Have a great Yosemite experience!
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking