Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Group Camping - advice needed

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What is the best campground for children ages 1 to 12 years old?

Hodgdon Meadow
No votes
Bridalveil Creek
No votes
Tuoloumne Meadows
100%

Total votes : 1

Group Camping - advice needed

Postby mchantha77 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 am

Hi,

We plan to camp in Yosemite for the first time in August 2010 with a group 15 to 20 people. There will be children ages 1 to 12 years old. We love to go fishing and hiking. I looked at the yosemite website and it looks like we have three options for group camping: Hodgdon Meadow, Bridalveil Creek, and Tuolumne Meadows Campgrounds. Which one would you recommend? and what are some activities we should do while we are there.

Thank you,
Monica
mchantha77
First-timer
First-timer

Postby Hikin Mike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:12 pm

I think Wawona has a group campground too, but it's right by the river....not very toddler friendly. I would say Tuolumne Meadows only because I've camped there with our church group and I love Tuolumne Meadows.

At that time our two daughters were ~18 months and 4. We took them to Dog Lake. My oldest complained because she was tired, but she did make it.
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Group Camping - advice needed

Postby dan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Some group campgrounds
Hodgdon Meadow--in a forest, a meadow nearby. Not much to do around it.
Bridalveil Creek--close to a meadow (mosquitos in early summer). Hiking trail to South rim.
Tuolumne Meadows--mosquitos too, but not as many as Bridalveil Creek. Most beautiful of the campgrounds in High Sierra country. Many trails start here, a few creeks. It's the coldest campground too. I recommend this one.
Wawona Campground--warmest of the campgrounds. Next to a creek. Not many mosquitos, usually. Nearby (multiple miles) is Wawona Grove of Giant Sequoias.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds