Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:56 am

Author: Hai (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: 09-21-05 12:34

On August of 2005, my cousins and I hiked from Cathedral Lake via John Muir Trail in Tuolomne Meadows to Glacier Point, Yosemite Valley. We managed to finish this route in 3 days and 2 nights. It was a great experience. However, I did learn one thing. If anyone is planning to hike from Yosemite Valley to Tuolumne Meadows, BEWARE! Unless you like a hard a ascending hike, knock yourself out. Otherwise, the hike from Tuolumne to the Valley is simply more user friendly.

Well, happy camping to everyone.

Re: Backpacking from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley
Author: Jon (---.goldrush.com)
Date: 09-26-05 17:23

Hi Hai:

That's a beautiful route! I'm sure that you and your cousins enjoyed it. Are you going to be able to return to Yosemite for more bp experiences? There are so many fantastic routes.

Jon
<www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com>

Author: Diana (---.pinnaclesys.com)
Date: 01-05-06 13:02

Hello Hai,

This looks similar to what I want to do this summer. Can you provide a day by day breakdown of your hike?

Also, did you leave a car at Glacier Point and shuttle to Toulomne Meadows?
Roughly, how many miles a day did you hike and what was the relative pace?
Was the back country permit easy to get?

Thanks,
Diana

Author: Jon (---.goldrush.com)
Date: 01-08-06 15:51

Diana:

Since Hai hasn't answered yet, I'll speak up.
At 3 days and 2 nights, he hiked about 8 miles a day, and he went through some beautiful scenery. (May I add, that a side trip to Half Dome would be an unforgettable experience.)

With a Wilderness Permit, you can park your car in the Valley (not Glacier Point) or in Tuolumne Meadows. There is a bus that can take you from the Valley to the Meadows. (209-372-1240). It typically runs twice a day, you should reserve, and there is a fee (@$20)

Obtaining a permit for this trail in advance can be a challenge. You can try 24 weeks in advance at www.yosemitesecure.org/wildpermit/. To get an idea of the availabilty of trailheads, go to: www.nps.gov/yose/rptFullTrailheadDates.htm

If you can't get a permit in advance, the good news is that 40% of the quota are held for walk-ins, and they can be scored the day of or day before your trip. Try to get to the Wilderness Center at least 30 minutes before they open (7:30 or 8 am). For a popular trail like the one you want, I would try to be there the day before my trip. When you get a permit, you can spend the night before, and one night after your trip in the backpacker campground.

Hope this helps, just holler if you have any more questions.

Jon
www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:58 am

Author: karl dupre
Date: 07-28-03 11:31

If you head to clouds rest from tenaya lake, you will be rewarded.When
you reach the JMT if you take a left you will find campsites along sunrise
creek. In the morning you can be up half dome well before the crowd
arrives. Again,you will be rewarded.I believe these rewards wil make it
"worth it".It's hard to lose the crowd on an overnighter but this route
should'nt be very crowded 'til nevada falls on the second day.You should
have a blast.I certainly hope so.

Re: Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley
Author: sue (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: 08-12-03 15:36

two questions-

i heard that this hike is amazing- but what is the JMT?
also how long does this hike take? is it possible just to do the first part in one day?

-sue

Author: Mike (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: 08-13-03 13:16

Haven't done the hike, but JMT is short for the "John Muir Trail".

Mike
The Backcountry

Author: karl dupre (---.nash01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: 08-15-03 16:39

a great dayhike from tenaya lake is up to clouds rest and back.It is 11 or 12 miles with less elevation gain and far fewer people than hiking out of Yosemite valley.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:29 am

Author: Robert Taylor (64.80.146.---)
Date: 03-17-05 08:04

Hello,

My brother and I are planning our first backpacking trip in Yosemite. We have only been on one other trip and that was three days in the Grand Canyon. What would any of you recommend for a three or four day trip. I have a couple of books but I still have a lot of questions. Another thing I need help on is this. Most of the suggested 3 to 4 day trips seem to start one place and end in another. Does this mean I need two cars or is there a shuttle. Any advice suggestions is appreciated. I saw one trip from Tolumne Meadows into yosemite valley it was 32 miles but rated easy. Another was Yosemite valley to Merced lake. Any advice?

Robert

Re: First Backpacking trip
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 03-17-05 22:06

Don't worry about ending up somewhere else. Around Tuolumne there's a shuttle from Tuolumne Meadows Campground / Store / Lodge area that heads west on Tioga Road to Tioga Lake. It runs several times a day.

There's also a daily bus that leaves each morning from the Yosemite Valley hotels (ask at any lobby) and heads on Tioga Road to Tuolumne Meadows and on to Lee Vining. See http://www.yarts.org/ http://www.yarts.org for details.

One of my favorite trips is starting out at Tuolumne Meadows and heading down the John Muir Trail to Yosemite Valley. Leave your car in the Valley and take the Bus to Tuolumne. You can also go by way of Clouds Rest and possibly day hike to Half Dome, but that's rushing it for 3 or 4 days.

You can also go by way of Tuolumne to Vogelsang to Merced Lake to Yosemite Valley, but that's also long.

All trips give you the benefit of the beautiful high country and seeing Yosemite Valley as you descend.

You can also backpack by starting and ending in Tuolumne. Lyell Canyon is full of Lakes. Or head north from Tuolumne to one of several lakes.

Early summer is beautiful with wildflowers, but also mosquito rich.

Re: First Backpacking trip
Date: 03-18-05 11:41

Dan,

I am really interested in the trip you mentioned..starting out of Tuolumne Meadows and heading down the Muir trail into Yosemite valley. Couple of questions...how far? how many days? water availability? Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley
Date: 03-18-05 17:16

It's about 20-25 miles from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley. You can go low, along Sunrise Creek, with more water and shade, or go high, along Clouds Rest, drier but more views.

There's water all along the way unless you head to Clouds Rest (no water there).

It takes me 2.5 days (stopping at Sunrise and above or near Little Yosemite Valley). Add any day hikes or lay-overs to that.

Re: Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley
Date: 03-21-05 09:12

Dan,

What trailhead would we register for? Thanks for all the info.

Robert

Re: Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley
Date: 03-21-05 09:16

Cathedral Peaks/Sunrise. However, I would look at a map. It would be hard to do without a map.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley trailhead question for permit

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:39 am

Author: kristie (---.lf.br.cox.net)
Date: 06-14-05 06:07

I am planning a 3 day hike from Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley, and am trying to fill out the permit request. Which trailheads do I request? It's looking like Cathedral Lakes for the entry trailhead, and either Happy Isles>Little Yosemite Valley or Happy Isles>Sunrise/Merced Lake.. not sure which. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: trailhead question
Author: Dan (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 06-14-05 10:10

I'm not sure either. It depends on which way you're going.
You can start at Cathedral Lakes trailhead, just west of Tuolumne and head down to Little Yosemite Valley directly or by way of Clouds Rest.

You can also head down from Tuolumne up to Vogelsang, then down to Merced Lake, then Little Yosemite Valley.

Happy Isles is where you end up in any case (and not where you start).

Personally, I don't sweat the trailheads too much. The rangers mainly care if you have a permit. I do admit the webpage on trailheads is confusing and they could do better. Look at a map and it should make a little more sense.

Author: kristie (---.lusnet.net)
Date: 06-14-05 14:00

cool. thank you. i figured it didn't really matter all that much as long as you have the permit, but i just wanted to make sure. can't wait for the trip. this will be my first visit to yosemite!

Author: Diana (---.pinnaclesys.com)
Date: 01-05-06 13:13

Hey Kristie,

I'm looking to do a similar trip this june. Can you provide a day by day summary you followed, including car drop off points, shuttles, and permits?

thanks,
Diana
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Trailhead question for Tuolumne to Yosemite Valley

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:40 am

Author: Ron Renwick (---.sgi.com)
Date: 04-12-05 09:32

We are looking at doing a 3 dayer leaving from Tuolumne, heading up PCT past Glen Aulin on the PCT and looping back around via Mt. Conness. We will not be stopping at Glen Aulin, but the only trailhead options that I see on the "Full Trailheads" permit page at Glen Aulin and Glen Aulin -> Coldwater Canyon/WaterWheel.

Does anyone have a suggestion for which trailhead to specify for our permit request?

TIA,
RR

Re: Trailhead question
Date: 04-12-05 20:00

You don't have to stop at Glen Aulin. The trailhead is where you start (and end), not where you camp.

Re: Trailhead question
Author: Ron Renwick (---.sgi.com)
Date: 04-13-05 01:04

Thanks for your reply. We understand that we don't need to stop at Glen Aulin, but we are not clear on what our "Entry Trailhead" and "Exit Trailhead" selections should be for the permit form.

Any suggestions for which trailheads to list as Entry and Exit? It looks like "Young Lakes via Glen Aulin Trail" may work for Entry and "Young Lakes via Dog Lake" may work for Exit as I can't see other trailheads on the permit form that match more closely to our route. If anyone knows of more accurate trailheads that we missed, we would appreciate the input.

Thanks,
RR
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

First time, got 4 days

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:00 am

Author: Dan Mennitt (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: 03-11-05 19:57

Hi everyone,

I'm coming out from appalachia and have decided to spend a few days in Yosemite. I would like have at least some sort of itinerary as I have only 3, maybe 4 days to hike. Can anyone suggest a good route, with start and end points near where I can catch a bus? I'd like to get away from the crowds for the most part, but I know that they are unavoidable at the popular spots which I'd like to see as well.

I've got a 4500 cu in pack, sleeping bag, and water purification equipment. Are you allowed to camp pretty much anywhere off the trail? As I understand it, all I need is a wilderness permit and I'm good to go?

thanks for your advice,

Dan

Re: First time, got 4 days
Date: 03-15-05 14:09

For up-to-date detailed information, see
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/

In the summer a daily bus starts from the Yosemite Valley (Yosemite Lodge and I believe the other hotels in the Valley) and heads to Tuolumne Meadows and on to Lee Vining. You can get off anywhere along the road (where it's safe to stop). For details, ask at one of the hotel lobbies or at the Transporation Desk at Yosemite Lodge.

I would start at Tuolumne Meadows and hike down to Yosemite Valley via Little Yosemite Valley. You can take the John Muir Trail, or go by way of Clouds Rest (and maybe dayhike to the top of Half Dome) or head up to Vogelsang and down to Merced Lake. The last is the most difficult. The views from Clouds Rest of the Valley is great.

You need a bear canister. You can rent one where you pick up your Wilderness Permit (you can pick up a permit in the Valley or in Tuolumne Meadows).

You can camp anywhere where there's not a specific restriction, and away from the road. It's wise to stay away from wet areas in early summer due to mosquitoes.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Wilderness Permit

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:01 am

Author: jared cudney (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: 05-08-05 16:22

Hello there, I am planing a trip for 8 days to Yosemite on August 19, 2005. And I need reservations for my wilderness permit. The hick will start in Tawalleme medowes, and end in Yosemite Valley.
Would any one tell me how I can reserve this dates?

818.951-0105

Date: 05-08-05 21:13

See
www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Tuolumne Valley to Yosemite Valley Backpack

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:06 am

Author: Josiah Jones (---.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: 01-27-05 10:57

Hi. I'm planning a 4 day backpacking trip from Tuolumne to the Valley. Nights at Vogelsang, Merced Lake, and Little Yosemite Valley. I have a couple questions for anyone who has done this route or has knowledge of the area.

1) There are two routes to Vogelsang, Rafferty Creek and Lyell Canyon. Casting aside the differences in distance and steepness, which route is more enjoyable?

2) There are also two route from Vogelsang to Merced Lake, Lewis Creek and Fletcher Creek. Again, which route is more enjoyable?

3) The dates planned are for late June. I've seen some pictures of the area in June with very little snow around. Is this the norm? Should I expect snow on the ground?

Thanks

Re: Tuolumne Valley to Yosemite Valley Backpack
Date: 01-27-05 11:58

1) Lyell Canyon is nicer. The mules go up Rafferty Creek Trail to the Vogelsang HSC--making it dusty. Lyell Canyon is less used and has lots of lakelets along the way. The trail up to Evelyn Lake and to Vogelsang is steeper though, but I enjoyed it more.

2) Fletcher and Lewis Creek are about the same. Lots of down. Lewis Creek, I seem to remember, has more waterfalls. It definitely has fewer people.

3) Merced Lake is low and warm--snow is the first to disappear. Vogelsang is high and cold. Expect patches of snow. If its a heavy snow year, expect major stretches of snow.

Don't forget about mosquitoes.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Trip Report: Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 am

Date: 07-26-05 14:53

Three of us just completed a Tuolomne Meadows to the valley trip via Sunrise and Merced Lake. I t was three nights and four days of hiking. First off it was my first backpacking trip in Yosemite and it was great. I had visited the valley before but can honestly say for those able to you have to see the back country. Tuolomne to sunrise was about 8.5 miles and fairly tough. Most of the climbing for the four days was done in the first 3 or 4 miles. We had planned to stay just north of Sunrise High Sierra Camp but the mosquitos south of long meadow were horrible. We cut east and found a high area but the mosquitos were really bad there also (this was the down part of the trip). The next day we headed south along echo river (beatiful) and then east along the Merced and camped about a mile west of Merced lake. While the mosquitos were bad there it wasn't overwhelming. We saw lots of deer around sundown and I saw my first wild grouse (no BEARS) There are beatiful small falls just west of Merced lake and we spent the next morning checking them out before heading down the trail towards the valley. We went about 6.5 miles and camped along the Merced river at the little yosemite valley campground. It was crowded but everyone was really cordial and after two full days of maybe seeing four other people it was OK to be around others. Most of these packers were heading up or coming down from half dome. We had a great (but hot) stay and headed out the next morning for the valley. It was a great walk and we even heard a big rock slide luckily it was far away from us but still scary. Overall a great trip with tons to see.
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby himichellehy » Fri May 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Hello,

My friends and I are planning our first backpacking trip on May 28-30th from Tuolumne Meadows to Yosemite Valley. I've been mapping out my hike and trying to prepare for the end of the month but still have many questions. Any information/input you can share i'd really appreciate it!

1. Do you know if this trail is currently closed for backpackers due to the snow closure of the Tioga Road (Hwy 120)? or is it still possible to get to Tuolumne Meadows to start our hike and that closure does not effect backpackers?
2. We plan to set up camp at the High Sierra Camp shy of Merced Lake our 1st night, do we need reservations? Can we just come and go?
3. All wilderness permits are booked but Happy Isles has 12 first come, first serve spots available. Anyone know the best time to go and reserve parking? We would like to park at Yosemite Valley and take a shuttle to Tuolume to start our hike.
4. If we park at Yosemite Valley and end our hike at Happy Isles, how far is getting from Happy Isles to Yosemite Valley?

Thanks!
himichellehy
First-timer
First-timer

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 06, 2016 10:22 pm

1. The trail will still be under snow in the high country. They don't close trails -- they expect you to have navigation skills and winter skills if you do go. They plow Tioga Road so it will be open. If you need trail to navigate, Hetch Hetchy or the Buena Vista Loop will be a better choice - lower elevations, less snow.
2. The High Sierra Camp will not be open. When backpacking and wanting to stay within a mile of an HSC you are expected to use the designated backpacker campsites there, no payment and no reservations needed. You are technically not a guest of the HSC and you cannot use the facilities. And there may be snow.
3. You don't reserve parking. There is no free shuttle to Tuolumne. You should check the YARTS schedule (yarts.com) to see if the buses will be running that early, should the pass open. You'll park in trailhead parking down the road from Curry Village (the signs say Half Dome Village but it's always going to be Curry to me). There is a half mile walk to the Happy Isles trailhead from there.

To get a walk in permit you will need to be at the wilderness office very very very very very very very early - on the DAY BEFORE you want to start hiking. You will be standing in a long long long line in the valley wilderness office -- actually, I take that back, you won't be. If you get there and there are ten people ahead of you, you're screwed. It only takes one person with a group of 12 to wipe out all the walk ins available. The walk ins are released a day before the starting date. You are trying to get THE most popular trailhead in the park on a very very very very popular holiday weekend, there will be CRAZY traffic and crowds.

The only other option is to be there the morning of the day you want to start, at 10 am, and it might be possible that someone doesn't pick up reserved permits and you can snap them up. But there will be people trying to do that too.

In fact, I highly recommend going somewhere else. Maybe something out of Mammoth Lakes. You might just end up there if people snap up all the walk in permits.

Oh yes -- bring plenty of DEET and a headnet.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Fri May 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Wow! Dragged this thread out of the depths.

Only one thing needs to be said about a walk-up for that route on Memorial Weekend: Even if Tioga Rd is open, it aint gonna happen.

Go back to the map. Figure out Plans B, C, D, and E... Be willing to take any permit that you can get. Or better yet, stay home, BBQ, save yourselves an incredible amount of grief in every way imaginable, try a less hectic and crowded date.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sat May 07, 2016 4:24 am

How do they know, you ask?

All the backpacking forums of any popularity have dozens asking the same question about trailheads. Usually in Yosemite. I daresay the only place that isn't going to be booked up solid on Memorial Day is home. staying the night out there somewhere while waiting in line for permits is the only real problem you have, if you're game to wait for the permits, because campsites will be GONE. Campgrounds on Tioga Road will still all be shut. Snow.

I am debating the same - where to go. I'm choosing a destination I don't need a permit for. Where, you ask? Ah, but it's my destination. If I post it on the internet I lose the advantage.... It won't be in Yosemite, or SEKI, or any of the designated wilderness areas. Won't be on the coast. Since I can use a map real well there'll be snow, likely.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mebgardner » Mon May 09, 2016 12:47 pm

himichellehy :

Phil and AT are trying (very sweetly I might add) to dissuade you from your planned adventure.

They really do have *your* best interest at heart with the advice they gave. It's good advice, and you should listen very closely to it, if you can hear it. This route should not be your 1st backpack trip, not at your chosen time of year. Choose a different route, something lower, something less crowded.

Maybe not stay home, but if you really want to have fun, then avoid this place during that weekend.

Also, not that I'm the greatest gentleman, or the best at protocol / manners, but really, that's not a good intro message to the forum (to dig up a post thats almost a decade old, and begin asking for data. Not the best intro...)
mebgardner
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Mon May 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks Meb. It really isn't a good idea. At the risk of being a little less "sweet", I can't help but call into serious question the necessary winter wayfinding skills of someone that plans to camp at Merced Lake on night 1 from the Cathedral Lakes trailhead. Most would be hard-pressed to pull that off in summer, never mind winter, and that the lake is 10 trail miles east of the JMT, or even that Happy Isles is exactly 0 miles from Yosemite Valley, because it's in Yosemite Valley. I try to tell people what I know of that might help them to succeed, realistically and safely, not in order for them to end up as statistics. The rest is up to them.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking