Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Two nights in July in the Valley - Curry Camp or campground?

Discussion of camping and road-accessible campgrounds in and near Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Two nights in July in the Valley - Curry Camp or campground?

Postby TigerFan » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:01 am

We have a 10-11 day trip to Yosemite planned for July, 2010. First trip ever. Five of those days will be a hike from Tuolumne Meadows to the Valley. I'm thinking we'll spend the first night at or near Tuolumne Meadows, then do the hike, then spend 2 nights in the Valley. We'd like to do a 2 or 3-day rafting trip on the Tuolumne River to finish off the trip.

So, my quandary is over where to stay for the 2 nights in the Valley. I can't pull trigger on the $500 a night at the Ahwahnee. I know it's going to be really crowded in the Valley in July. My impression is that my choice is between staying outside of the Valley where it will be moderately crowded/noisy (Crane Flat maybe?) but possibly deal with traffic driving into the Valley OR bite the bullet, accept the crowds/noise, and stay in the Valley. I'm leaning toward the latter.

So, which would be better -- Curry Camp or one of the Valley campgrounds? And I guess "better" would be a combination of crowds, noise, access to points of interest in the Valley (we will have already done the Mist Trail/Half Dome), showers, food, etc. I realize it's pretty subjective -- but I'm really interested in your opinions.

Thanks!
TigerFan
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 am

The campgrounds are not too noisy. Most people do try and be respectful but you do have your occasional rowdy group. Try to book a campsite on an outside edge so you back up to the river or the trees. The tent cabins are just as crowded and noisy in my opinion.

The Curry tent cabins will be closer to the food areas (make sure you try thier pizza it's great), the showers, and the store but parking is a nightmare. If you get a campground you have space for two vehicles. If you stay in Curry the showers are free, if you camp you have to pay $5 per person per shower. They provide you with a towel in either case. If you luck out and the attendant isn't there then the shower is free.

I prefer Lower Pines over the other two campgrounds because it is a shorter walk to Curry Village. You just have to cross the boardwalk that the spans the medow across from the Curry Village parking lot.

If you are going to get a campground make sure you log on and get your site as soon as they release them. For June 15 through July 14 February 15 is the release date. For July 15 through August 14 March 15 is the release date. They release them at 7am PST and the campsites book up in a couple of minutes. So log on around 650am PST, have your site picked out and your dates in and keep hitting book until it reserves the site or shows that someone beat you to it. Good luck!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jpcal » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:23 pm

The Curry tent cabins will be closer to the food areas (make sure you try thier pizza it's great)

I've only had the pizza once, after hiking Half Dome. I would agree that it was really good, but I think it is because of the long hike. If I tried it now I know it would be an ordinary pizza.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Wickett » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 pm

jpcal wrote:
The Curry tent cabins will be closer to the food areas (make sure you try thier pizza it's great)

I've only had the pizza once, after hiking Half Dome. I would agree that it was really good, but I think it is because of the long hike. If I tried it now I know it would be an ordinary pizza.

I thought that also but we have eaten there plenty of times and the pizza is still really good. Let's hope it stays that way!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Campgrounds