Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2-3 day backpacking trip suggestions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2-3 day backpacking trip suggestions

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:32 am

Author: Scott Tibbals (---.wins2.ct.charter.com)
Date: 04-24-05 18:48

My wife and I are coming out to Yosemite the 3rd week of june. We are planning on backpacking for 2 or 3 nights and am looking for suggestions on the best routs and camping areas. We think we can cover 10 to 15 miles per day and want to get all we can out of those miles?

Thanks in advance Scott and Grace

Re: 2-3 day backpacking trip suggestions
Author: Derick (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: 06-11-05 12:27

happy isles to little yosemite valley, up to merced lake & back, with side trips to cloud's rest and / or half dome -- but there may still be snow at higher elevations
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

3 day, 2 night yosemite hike

Postby archive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:31 am

Author: Diana (---.pinnaclesys.com)
Date: 01-05-06 12:58

I am planning a backpacking trip for mid to late June. I'll be taking 2 people who have never been to Yosemite but are intermediate backpackers. I want to get the most bang for the buck.

I was thinking of starting in the high country and making our way down to the valley. I'd like to time it such that we could camp near half dome on the 2nd night and get up before dawn for a hike to the top just in time for sunrise. This would get us to the valley floor early in the day. When we could then see the sights there.

1. what's a good starting point?
2. can we leave our car in the valley on day 1 and shuttle to Toulumne meadows or Hetch Hetchy?
3. figure 6-10 miles hiking each day

thanks !!!

Re: 3 day, 2 night yosemite hike
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 01-05-06 13:24

I would start on the John Muir Trail (JMT) where it leaves Tioga Road and heads south to Cathedral Lakes. You can camp near Sunrise--beautiful Alpine meadows. From there the trail descends to Little Yosemite Valley. If you're headed to Half Dome, the last campsite with water is where the JMT trail intersects with the trail heading north up to Clouds Rest (there's a creek there). However, it's about an hour from there to the top of Half Dome.

An alternative is to keep on going and camp right at the base of Half Dome, just before the granite stairs to the cable ladder. There's a big informal camping area there. HOWEVER, there's no water, so you need to bring some water. You can save some water by having dinner at the previously-mentioned campsite and sleeping at the base of Half Dome.

You can leave your car at the Backpacker's Parking Lot. It's located between Camp Curry and the Pines Campground (southeast of Curry, west of Upper Pines Campground). Don't leave any visible food in the car or ice chests. Put them in the bear boxes, or you'll be buying a new door frame.

Re: 3 day, 2 night yosemite hike
Author: Dan Anderson (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: 01-05-06 13:29

P.S.--about the shuttle.

The Bus (YARTS) leaves from all the Valley Hotels in the early evening (I usually leave from the Yosemite Lodge, which has a dedicated Transportation Desk). The YARTS bus stops anywhere there is a pull-out along the Tioga Road. It reaches Tuolumne Meadows about 2 hours later.
For schedule information see
http://www.yarts.org/ http://www.yarts.org/
The Tioga Road bus to Mammoth runs only in Summer, as the road is not open in Winter. See the webpage for the exact current schedule
archive
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking